WWI Victory Medal. Named on top bar.

tarheelyankee

tarheelyankee

Hello all Forum friends,

Recently picked up this nice World War I victory metal engraved on a top bar. Looks privately engraved and ribbon looks to be re-ribboned. From my limited research I believe this soldier to be an African American in the 93rd Division. The “Bloody Hand Division” 

I have contacted the National Archives, but with the current Covid situation they are shortstaffed and limited in what they may be able to locate of this service members records. I am hoping some of my Forum friends here May be able to direct me to other avenues in which to research this individual. Or possibly have some information that they have and can possibly share with me here. Any help forthcoming will be most graciously appreciated.

The soldier is as follows: Sgt. William H. Moore.  Company H. 372nd Infantry. U.S.N.G.

I’ve included scans for all to see, and I thank you again as this Forum has always been the place to go to share and learn from other collectors of our hobby. 
Tom…Tarheelyankee 

76DAB8C4-252B-4710-A15A-F45B9F11A908.jpeg

20E0E64C-4403-4B03-9EAC-1543FEC98C66.jpeg

E0E20B81-AE35-4CD4-B92B-2F7155CCC649.jpeg

Company M of the 372nd after 1925 was a unit in the Massachusetts National Guard based out of Boston. Since the 93rd rated 3 battle clasps and this medal had none I suspect that Moore did not have any overseas duty in WWI and the top bar reflects his National Guard Service after 1925 with Company M.

Bill

He was from Connecticut and has a service questionnaire on ancestry.  He did indeed see combat with the Company as a Sgt. Nice custom medal! 

tarheelyankee

Thank you so very much USMCR79 and AustinO. May I please ask AustinO,  If he did see combat as a Sgt. With Company M would this mean he was a combat veteran of WWI AND continued service post WWI in the same NG unit out of Mass. ? 
    I have found on Wikipedia that the 372nd infantry Regiment was attached to the 93rd division during World War One  and did compose national guard units. So possibly Sgt. Moore was in this Division. Since I believe the ribbon to be re-ribboned, that may attest to the fact that there are no battle clasps with it.

I truly do appreciate all the help that you to fine gentlemen have given me. This will help me in my continuing search to find exactly what this hero/veteran did and accomplished during the Great War.

Tom

tarheelyankee

WOW, you guys are the best. Thank you so much Bill. I will have to find a victory medal with those bars, it won’t necessarily be Sergeant Moore’s, but it will be a representation of the bars that he earned during his combat service in France. Again my wonderful Forum friends, many, many thanks for the help that you have provided.

Tom 

The drape is the more British style ribbon, vs US victory - so certainly either replaced or there was another planchet on the medal at some point.  I'm inclined to think he had the brooch custom made and affixed his victory medal planchet. 

6 minutes ago, tarheelyankee said:

WOW, you guys are the best. Thank you so much Bill. I will have to find a victory medal with those bars, it won’t necessarily be Sergeant Moore’s, but it will be a representation of the bars that he earned during his combat service in France. Again my wonderful Forum friends, many, many thanks for the help that you have provided.

Tom 

He was also entitled to a New Haven WWI Medal and a Conn. WWI Medal (Possible Croix De Guerre since the French passed these out quite a bit) - He had pre WWI service with the 10th Cav. and was issued Mexico Service Medal No. 6100 as a Pvt. 10th Cav.

Bill

1 minute ago, AustinO said:

The drape is the more British style ribbon, vs US victory - so certainly either replaced or there was another planchet on the medal at some point.  I'm inclined to think he had the brooch custom made and affixed his victory medal planchet. 

It looks like the top bar came from his New Haven WWI Medal since these came with that style top bar.

Bill

tarheelyankee

WOW guys. You all are the best. Keeps getting better and better. I’ll definitely add a shadow box of all the other medals he was or would have been entitled to wear or display. But of course, being a purist, I will not claim that they are Sgt. Moore’s, rather just original period examples of medals he earned. 
  I’d love to locate his Army Mexican Service medal No. 6100.

Thank you all for this belated Christmas present of information 

Tom