WW2 Westinghouse M1-C liner

blademan

Greetings,

I have been going through my storage and found this m1-c Westinghouse helmet liner that I forgot I owed. I bought this about 10 years ago online. 

The helmet came with what seems like a quartermaster inventory list from the 325th GIR Company I of the 82nd airborne. 

I believe this is a late war liner. 

It would be interesting to know when these came out and what engagements it might have seen with the unit. 

Would appreciate insight from those with more knowledge than I. 

Thanks

20220107_143513.jpg

20220107_143535.jpg

20220107_143503.jpg

20220107_145645.jpg

20220107_143551.jpg

20220107_143607.jpg

20220107_143821.jpg

The tag says 325 AIR (Airborne Infantry Regiment) which puts it no earlier than 1948. 

The A washers where the yokes attach do not appear to match the rest, which would suggest that this is a rigger-modified liner.

Factory wire-buckle Westinghouse liners do exist, but the exact timeframe of manufacture is unclear.

Are the a-yokes underneath the a-washers or mounted separately? I can't really tell from the pics though I'm inclined to say they appear to be underneath the a-washers. The Westinghouse liners had OD3 webbing in the liners and OD7 a-yokes. 

There's a thread on here, I'll need to dig it up, that goes into a little detail about the Westinghouse M1-C liners with wire buckles. Basically yes, Westinghouse made for a very short period towards the end of WWII (IIRC), M1-C liners with the wire buckles. 

Cool liner regardless. 

3 hours ago, aef1917 said:

The tag says 325 AIR (Airborne Infantry Regiment) which puts it no earlier than 1948. 

The A washers where the yokes attach do not appear to match the rest, which would suggest that this is a rigger-modified liner.

Factory wire-buckle Westinghouse liners do exist, but the exact timeframe of manufacture is unclear.

Thanks for the info and insight.  I'll have to get better picd of the yoke rivets. They do look different. Good catch!

Since the 325th was sent home about 1948, it would make sense they would be dealing with equipment inventory issues in that time frame or afterwards (2948 AIR timeframe).

Thanks agsin

1 hour ago, elh1311 said:

Are the a-yokes underneath the a-washers or mounted separately? I can't really tell from the pics though I'm inclined to say they appear to be underneath the a-washers. The Westinghouse liners had OD3 webbing in the liners and OD7 a-yokes. 

There's a thread on here, I'll need to dig it up, that goes into a little detail about the Westinghouse M1-C liners with wire buckles. Basically yes, Westinghouse made for a very short period towards the end of WWII (IIRC), M1-C liners with the wire buckles. 

Cool liner regardless. 

Elh1311,

Thank you for your comments. 

The yokes are definitely under the A washers and not affixed with rigger style extra digits.  

I'll look for the westinghouse thread you mention.

It seems there may be a name under the paint blotch on the inside of the liner. I have been tempted to removed to expose any markings, however, not sure the best way do so. 

Thank you

8 hours ago, blademan said:

Elh1311,

Thank you for your comments. 

The yokes are definitely under the A washers and not affixed with rigger style extra digits.  

I'll look for the westinghouse thread you mention.

It seems there may be a name under the paint blotch on the inside of the liner. I have been tempted to removed to expose any markings, however, not sure the best way do so. 

Thank you

I think some people have used Goof Off to good effect in removing paint but not damaging anything else. 

Also, here's the thread I was referring to: