British style Air crew wings - original?

Fredoc

I have seen several of this pattern on Ebay recently but never with what appears to be copper loops. Those that I have seen appear to be cast. Is it possible to have you take straight shots without the flash under natural or diffused light. If you have a macro setting that would be most helpful...

Have you looked at this with a loupe to see if tiny pitts \ holes are present..? There appears to be a large one on the front right just below the shoulder.

Sorry for all the questions as it is hard to tell with the photos.

BTW - is it just the flash of are these wings minty fresh or someone placed them is a silver dip?

John

militarymodels

From the pictures, I would not buy it for my collection personally. It looks like one of those copies for motocycle, helmet or such to display. However, better picture quality with close up front and back in the natral daylight probably would help subject to better opinions. Regards, Lonny

I have my doubts about this one but I wouldn't call it a fake without seeing it in the flesh.

Usually, the English ones are two piece.... were the center is fastened by prongs or sweated on

the wings. I'm sure there are exceptions like the pilots wing and possibly another with rounded

center device. All of mine are straight pin backs.

Just speaking for myself, I wouldn't be so quick to throw this one into the "repro" heap. I have seen a few wings with the cotter pin arrangement. It is a rather rare setup and I don't see them that typically faked (as opposed to the fake "English-style" pin that is more common).

Of course, it is hard to say for sure, but it looks to me to be die struck, not cast. That would also be a good sign, IMHO. You can see the image of the strike in the center of the US shield from the behind.

The base metal seems to match the metal of some other English made wings that I have seen.

The pattern is also correct for the English made wings

So, without handling it and studying it closer, it could be a good wing. AND, if in fact, it were a good wing, the cotter pin attachment system would actually make this a very rare variant I believe, since I dont think the cotter pin system was very popular (you would have to cut holes in the uniform to really successfully mount the thing).

Patrick

I would agree with you on the cotter pin.... if real it might be an early variant before the Brits realized that we used straight pins. pinch.gif

Also, for what it is worth there is a big flaw on the shield.... I have seen this on known originals before..... not that it means much.

I would like to see pictures of the top and bottom of the shield if that is possible?

Just speaking for myself, I wouldn't be so quick to throw this one into the "repro" heap. I have seen a few wings with the cotter pin arrangement. It is a rather rare setup and I don't see them that typically faked (as opposed to the fake "English-style" pin that is more common).

Of course, it is hard to say for sure, but it looks to me to be die struck, not cast. That would also be a good sign, IMHO. You can see the image of the strike in the center of the US shield from the behind.

The base metal seems to match the metal of some other English made wings that I have seen.

The pattern is also correct for the English made wings

So, without handling it and studying it closer, it could be a good wing. AND, if in fact, it were a good wing, the cotter pin attachment system would actually make this a very rare variant I believe, since I dont think the cotter pin system was very popular (you would have to cut holes in the uniform to really successfully mount the thing).

Patrick

Thanks Patrick and 101combatvet , you make me feel better.

I paid 5 US $ for these wings and I din't think they would make repro with that kind of attachment.

Fred

teufelhunde.ret
... Of course, it is hard to say for sure, but it looks to me to be die struck, not cast. That would also be a good sign, IMHO. You can see the image of the strike in the center of the US shield from the behind.

Patrick

Agree, one can see a die crack in pictures 17 & 18...