Early Cold War USAF Ribbon Bars

Jtski

This simple 3 ribbon bar represents at least twenty years service from 1946. The lack of star on the NDSM could be explained if the individual was on non-active Reserve Component service and under the 10 years requirement for the Armed Forces Reserve Medal.

20221125_160428.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Another simple bar, I think it's almost certainly incomplete if I understand correctly and missing at least the Occupation Medal with airplane device. One could be awarded only the Occupation Medal with airplane device for 30 days service during the Berlin Airlift but one could not only receive the Medal for Humane Action as that required 90 days and therefore always meeting the 30 day criteria.

20221205_183454.jpg

A really nice aircrew set spanning WW2 to Vietnam with DFC, BSM, and 9 Air Medals. I find the Combat Readiness Medal interesting and wonder did only SAC or Air Defense Command units qualify?

Jeff

20221205_183443.jpg

20221205_183449.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I think this one is among my favorite bars, came with Colonel eagles and an incomplete set of minis. Covers up to 29 years of service, EAME without campaign stars and Occupation could indicate transport flying. The 3 stars on the AFEM stand out to me, there were a fair amount of qualifying operations in the late 1950s early 1960s but have never seen one with three. I imagine quite the interesting career.

Jeff

20221219_132109.png

20221219_132114.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have been honored to obtain a number of attributable bars and this one belongs to a thirty-year career Colonel.

A book belonging to the Colonel about SAC B47 and B52 operations has been annotated by the veteran noting around 3500 hours on the B47 from 1955 to 1960 at Pease and Walker AFBs.

His obituary mentions further service at SAC HQ, Saigon Command HQ, the Pentagon, and as a Base Commander in Texas (Laughlin AFB), Illinois (Chanute AFB) and Okinawa.

Jeff

20221229_192055.jpg

A bit outside the early Cold War theme but just a little later, another nice attributable bar to a full Colonel who have reason to believe was a Lt. Col. With 53rd Fighter Sqn flying F15Cs during the first Gulf War.

Other associated memorabilia links earlier service with the 421st Black Widows during the 70s and 80s on F4s and possibly F16s.

Plenty of overseas tours with high combat readiness time.

Really nice custom bar with interesting blue backing and sharp looking oak leaf clusters individually spaced.

Jeff

20221230_131803.jpg

20221230_131809.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another interesting bar with 3 Air Medals without any specific campaign service. I have seen these before and definitely possible I wonder under what circumstances these awards were made.

Jeff

20230831_150233.jpg

21 minutes ago, Jtski said:

Another interesting bar with 3 Air Medals without any specific campaign service. I have seen these before and definitely possible I wonder under what circumstances these awards were made.

Jeff

20230831_150233.jpg

Could a center three-ribbon bar be missing?

I had thought about that, the only ribbons I can put between the Victory Medal and NDSM are the China Service Medal (not commonly awarded to US Army or Air Force), Occupation Medal, and Medal for Humane Action. 

The bio I have seen where both a DFC and AM were worn without campaign service was to a U2/SR71 pilot. I would imagine there are other circumstances where these awards are possible that are less exclusive. 

Jeff

You have to take into account that ribbons are often in the wrong order, even on career guys. I'm willing to bet that there is a 'missing' 3-place with American Campaign, ETO/Asiatic Pacific and either an occupation or an American Defense. I have several ribbon bars of this type from the period and almost all have ribbons in the wrong order.

It's just a thought,

Mark

Always a good chance for sure, especially with this individual row style. I've seen some pretty wild arrangements even on senior career bars as you say.

I suppose you could make a case for a middle row of KSM, ROK PUC, and UN Korea with service 1946-61. The NDSM with Armed Forces Reserve Medal would indicate either regular USAF service 1950-54 followed by reserve service or Active Duty status as a reservist.

I'm still on the lookout for more AMs not associated with specific campaigns and found another reconnaissance-related pilot with both DFCs and AMs so there is still a precedent for this type of combo.

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

This set is among my favorites so far. The quality of Lauterstein's bars are really superb, from the attachments to construction to overall layout, spot on.

Given how regular it was for personnel to have few, if any, personal awards during the early USAF, my gut says the Bronze Star may well have been a meritorious-Combat Infantryman or Combat Medical Badge-related award from 1947.

Jeff

20230918_115932.jpg

20230918_115939.jpg

A remarkable set attributed to Colonel Robert Thomas Cavanaugh, USAF, an F105 Wild Weasel pilot with the 357th Tactical Fighter Sqn out of Takhli, Thailand during the May-Dec 1967 flying tour. All citations for his major awards (3 x Silver Star, 5 x DFC, 1 x BSM) can be found on the Hall of Valor website:

https://valor.militarytimes.com/hero/46202#50993

The Colonel's first two Silver Stars are associated with the same sorties for two separate 357th TFS Air Force Cross recipients:

11 Aug '67 (Col Robert White, Deputy Commander Ops 355th TFW Takhli)

28 Oct '67 (Lt Col Thomas Kirk, CO 357th TFS Takhli)

17 Air Medals corrspond to around 170 sorties flown going by anecdotal reference to tactical fighter AM criteria within the 357th at the time (from Lt Col Billy Sparks book "Takhli Tales" unfortunately Cavanaugh is not mentioned but served during the exact same tour period with the same Sqn).

This is truly a remarkable period for the Thuds of the 357th, alongside Col Robin Olds' 8TFW routinely accompanimg runs North holding MIGCAP. Major Leo Thorsness was with the 357th during the first half of 1967 tour and received the MoH.

Colonel Cavanaugh was a River Rat and undoubtedly completed his 100 missions in the North during this tour. Apart from his citations, I can find no biographical details or even period photos. If anyone may be able to assist I would appreciate very much learning the story of this man. Sadly he and his wife were killed in a vehicle accident in New Mexico in 1994.

There needs little explanation to understand how deep the bond and comradership formed between this group of fliers who went North together from all the different aircraft, including the Sandy's and Jolly Greens standing by to rescue. Truly inspiring.

Jeff

20230922_120304.jpg

Additional info for Major Cavanaugh's first Silver Star for 11 Aug '67 - a total of five Air Force Crosses were awarded for the same sortie that day, including Colonel Robin Old's AFC.