Early Cold War USAF Ribbon Bars

Jtski

Hello,

I've found my collecting theme, these are nice worn bars with great patina on the devices. My first Berlin Airlift device as well with another on the way.

What I like about the simple three-ribbon bar is the ability to narrow down the timeframe in which the service member could have served: 12-13 years service between 1947-60. Had to fit post-1946 WW2 Victory Medal and pre-1961 NDSM eligibility period.

Would enjoy seeing more from this period, especially more Berlin Airlift groups.

Jeff

20220104_150501.jpg

20220104_133839.jpg

20220104_133852.jpg

Very cool focus. I love early Air Force stuff. Probably because my Papa was Air Force in Korea. Love the Berlin Airlift Device, properly displayed on the occupation medal.

Friar

Hi Friar,

I've always liked the Berlin Airlift device and Medal for Humane Action combo, I previously thought they were only awarded as a pair but since have learned that one could have received the Occupation Medal with device alone for 30 days service, the Medal for Humane Action only being awarded after 90 days. Do you have any photos or details on your Papa's ribbons from the Korean War?

Jeff

Jeff, 

I had forgotten about that separate criteria as well. Below are my Papa’s original ribbons on his transitional Ike jacket. I’ve also included a picture of the day we got his replacements from the government and of the shadow box I made him. He unfortunately passed in 2016 but just this last year I was successful in getting him a Good Conduct medal and the 3 campaign stars he should have had for his service added to his record. When I’m finally able to go home again i’ll be presenting them to my Grandma and updating his shadow box. Thanks for asking. 

Friar

AD3D573F-F4CB-4FB5-AA9B-AFA0B95AEFC9.jpeg

1D339075-7783-4689-BF13-720D73B34754.jpeg

90DCF5EE-003C-4187-B2B6-52B5F579F600.jpeg

Friar,

Those are great photos thanks for sharing, that is special that your Papa was able to wear his medals after so long. For his good conduct medal, as I understand it would have been still the Army version and qualifying under the 1-year wartime rule? Nice to get that and campaign stars added to complete his full entitlement. 

Jeff

Correct on both accounts. He was in the Air Force for about 3 years with 1.5 of those being Active Duty (almost all of which was on the Peninsula). In that time he was promoted from E-1 to E-4 which was still an NCO rank while he was in. He actually straddled the switch from holdover Army ranks so some of his paperwork says Private or Corporal while other says A2C, A1C etc. He left service as an Airman First Class which had been the equivalent of Sergeant. He  referred to his rank as sergeant, hence what was on the shadow box.

He served in Combat Cargo as a loadmaster on C-119s. He flew several missions doing air drops but that was before loadmaster was an actual AFSC and before they were considered aircrew members.

I mistyped earlier, he actually passed away in 2006, only 3 years after the above photo was taken. He was my hero and I miss him greatly. He passed my sophomore year at the Air Force Academy. I wish I had been able to get my first salute from him.

Below is a picture of the Good Conduct medal I picked up. Had it engraved by a local jeweler. Simple modern strike but it will look good with his other modern medals. He never remembered earning any medals (I found the ribbons after he passed) so he was very proud when those came in the mail. Sorry for highjacking your thread but thanks for the questions. 

Friar

04A72026-4DD1-4634-97D6-11B06C9D9962.jpeg

No problem at all thanks for sharing. My introduction to medals started with helping my Grandfather receive his replacement medals from his US Navy service in the Pacific WW2 (American Campaign, Asiatic-Pacific no campaign stars, WW2 Victory).

His uniform was lost in a ranch fire, I recall he too did not remember receiving medals but any ribbons would have been lost. He was very pleased to receive them and I cherish them after his passing.

It seems as the issuing of medals often took longer or did not even occur automatically after discharge, no doubt more so given when the ribbons were made before the medals were even designed or approved.

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

A few more nice USAF sets have come in:

I saw the combo of USAF Distinguished Unit Citation (later Presidential..), arrowhead on Korean Service and ROK PUC and wondered if I could narrow down a unit. There were 3 assaults during the Korean War that were authorized for the arrowhead device: Inchon landing, Sunchon Para drop, and Munsan-Ni air airborne attack. Referencing AFP 900 Air Force Unit Decorations, Awards, and Campaign Credits, I found some interesting info. I could find no air force Unit receiving assault credit for Inchon. The only unit that received the DUC, arrowhead, and ROK PUC was the 314th Troop Carrier Group comprising 5 Sqns (37th, 46th, 50th, 61st, and 62nd TC Sqns) of which four received assault credit for both Sunchon and Munsan-Ni. Quite an amazing discovery given the number of units in that conflict. Looking at a Sqn list of officers during the period, there were approx 50 per Sqn  so about 200 potential recipients, not all of which would have received 7 Air Medals. Online sources say approx 8 million US service personnel during Korea, quite something to potentially narrow it down to less than 200 people who could have worn these awards.

The second set a simple Berlin Airlift group with very nice worn appearance and feel.

Jeff

20220126_132010.jpg

20220126_132016.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Another bar in with some interesting features. Absence of American Campaign Medal is not uncommon (Nimitz didn't even rate one) for Pacific service with 6 campaigns. The large silver star I've seen before, does anyone know the history behind it? Logically makes sense that 5 bronze stars should equal a larger silver star just wonder if it was a regulation at some point?

No campaign stars on the Korean Service Medal would indicate Japan service only I believe? If that is the case and the DUC was for Korea, with the ROK PUC, the only unit I could find so far qualifying was the 6127th Air Terminal Group.

Love seeing that single Air Force Commendation as the sole personal award after 24+ years service, must have held considerable prestige in those early days.

Jeff

20220204_135024.jpg

Neat to see the Philippine Independence Medal that was most likely awarded under the original criteria of having been  in the Philippines for their Independence in 1946 rather than having earned the both the Defense and Liberation medals. 

I believe the large star was just what some guys chose to purchase/what was available. I’ve never seen any other significance (official or otherwise) attributes to large campaign stars. I have a ribbon bar of my Great Uncles with huge bronze campaign stars that i’m guessing he picked up in England. 

As for the lack of Korean stars, he might have gotten out before all the campaign credit was determined. It just never knew his unit rated campaign credit. Not uncommon with veterans even today. I always find it amazing how many GOs there are in service today who lack stars on their Iraq and Afghanistan campaign medals (which cannot be awarded without stars).

Very cool bar. I’m loving these posts. Thanks for sharing.

Friar

Hi Friar,

Thanks for the input and glad you are enjoying these bars, I find the small details that can be extracted from the various combos fascinating.

I just realized with the above bar I mentioned the 6127th Air Terminal Group which is the same as your Papa's. From the AFP 900 it lists the unit as being entitled to the Distinguished Unit Citation, I wonder if that may be a further entitlement for him? The manual mentions no campaign credits for the 6127th  however as a loadmaster flying over Korea that would make sense he would have been entitled to campaign stars.

Another bar I had ready posted under the custom ribbon thread, but if I may re-post it here as it fits the theme and is also an interesting combo - missing the knotted bar on the Army Good Conduct - really like the individual star placement, can't stand the modern attached multiple star devices to be honest, good on the USMC for maintaining the single Star tradition!

20220127_111154.jpg

20220127_111204.jpg

My Papa was assigned to the 6127th Air Terminal Group, Detachment 8 at Chin-Hae (K-10), which is how he rated 3 campaign stars. I noticed the DUC when I was doing my research as well but I believe it was awarded for their work during the Pusan Perimeter. The eligibility windows for the DUC closed in April of 51 and my Papa did not arrive in country until Sept. Appreciate you bringing it up though. I wish they would have published an AFP 900 for Vietnam or later. The Korean Battle honors document is excellent.

I too am a big fan of separate devices. It just looks better than the bar device they use to connect the stars. The one custom ribbon bar I had made I asked for separate device and I loved the results. Need to order another one

Friar

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the input Friar, definitely agree on those individually-spaced devices.

Here is another very nice set just in, my first DFC group and the first time holding the medal itself.

Thirteen Air Medals from past research of the award cards on NARA, seem to generally indicate 12th Air Force/Mediterranean theatre service but not always. Hard to see in the photo and also close up but the EAME appears to have one silver and one bronze star.

Very interesting is the last ribbon of the British 1939-45 War Medal (minimum 28 days service in British forces) which would likely indicate an individual joining the Royal Air Force prior to transferring to the USAAF. Have seen these often enough that it is not rare but still fairly scarce for those who joined up before the United States entered the War. The individual could have joined the Royal Canadian Air Force too however if they served over 45 days they would have also received the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal.

Very pleased to hold the DFC itself, nicely aged, can anyone tell me if the pinback is original to the WW2 period?

20220215_110650.jpg

20220215_110658.jpg

20220215_110719.jpg

20220215_110740.jpg

Another interesting Berlin Airlift group just in, the hole in the Occupation Medal is visible for where the airplane device belongs.

12 years on the Army Good Conduct would indicate possibly a break between enlistments that makes sense for only a single National Defense eligibility period for Vietnam and lack of Korean-related service.

I'd say first enlistment 1947-pre June 1950. Re-enlisted around 1955 to the late 60s, continued service as reserve or commissioned into 1970s with the 24+ years on the AF Longevity. 

20220217_153323.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another new combo with a silver knot on the Good Conduct. This is the third set I have with the similar thin white metal backing.

20220511_123354.jpg

20220511_123508.jpg

Thanks for sharing that, interesting construction and odd to see only the first ribbon in the correct order. Do you happen to know when the bars were authorized on the ribbons of the Occupation Medal? Wondering if it stopped after the Berlin Airlift device was instituted?

Jeff

22 minutes ago, Jtski said:

Thanks for sharing that, interesting construction and odd to see only the first ribbon in the correct order. Do you happen to know when the bars were authorized on the ribbons of the Occupation Medal? Wondering if it stopped after the Berlin Airlift device was instituted?

Jeff

I don't think that the bars were authorized on the ribbon bar - only the medal

Bill

• 1 month later...

Another really interesting combo, at least 27-year career enlisted, no personal decorations, Berlin Airlift service, and likely transport service in Japan during Korea. Intrigued by the UN Medal ribbon at the end, unfortunately the United States only used the original UN ribbon versus the mission specific ones so could represent a number of different operations. There couldn't be too many USAF involved operations in the 50s or 60s so might be able to narrow it down, the Congo seems like a possible fit.

Jeff

20220622_124020.jpg

• 2 months later...

Time period is a little later but here is a picture of my father-in-law’s ribbon rack. He was a ‘69 graduate of USAFA and flew C-141s in Vietnam. Missing from the rack is his separation Commendation Medal and Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal. His DD-214 is missing the PUC and oak leaf clusters on the AFOUA. I have figured out what his AFOUA oak leafs are for but have no idea how he got the PUC. Unfortunately neither does he. He might have also earned a Combat Readiness Medal. He had the Combat Crew Insignia in the pocket of this uniform. Hope this isn’t too far outside the scope. Thanks for looking.

Friar0CCC062C-6940-4089-84B7-BEBD5CF8A388.jpeg.16645e3c5bf590afb2f8e39112afd0f9.jpegEC729AF5-4F86-4B0D-9CBE-E21948592AB9.jpeg.be588ac5823a50081d36872531f3e34b.jpegACC8DADE-B84C-4183-AF4B-1F0DA6B16F3C.jpeg.422d68176e59c41bda872ebf8827428c.jpeg

Nice combo thanks for sharing. I wonder if the PUC was one of the awards that the unit had received at some point in it's history and one was entitled to wear it only while assigned to that unit. I understand the Army did that is that the same for the Air Force?

The PUC would no doubt have been awarded for the tour in Vietnam. The unit designator (squadron number) could help in locating the G series order on the AF recognition website. To my knowledge, and in my many years of serving, the Air Force does not allow members to wear a unit award if they weren’t assigned to the unit when it was awarded. The Combat Readiness Medal (CRM) paperwork would have been submitted according to the guidance at the time and could have been a memo for record signed by leadership or submitted on an AF Form 104. The criteria for award of the CRM has changed through the years. Hope this helps.