Gray helmet with yellow liner flea market find

Tonomachi

I found this at the flea market last Sunday.  I'm guess USN due to the gray paint.  I didn't see any stamped letters or numbers probably due to a covering of paint.  The liner is in bad shape with so many cracks that they ducked taped it together and then painted it yellow.  Does the yellow color signify anything?

DSCF2260.JPG

DSCF2259.JPG

DSCF2262.JPG

DSCF2263.JPG

Yellow helmets were worn by cargo handlers on debarkation station 4 on Amphibious ships     They were, from forward to aft, Red , White Blue, Yellow, Green. On 2 APA/LPSs, there was a 6th station, and it was black. Crane and boom operators wore Brown. 

24 minutes ago, sigsaye said:

Yellow helmets were worn by cargo handlers on debarkation station 4 on Amphibious ships     They were, from forward to aft, Red , White Blue, Yellow, Green. On 2 APA/LPSs, there was a 6th station, and it was black. Crane and boom operators wore Brown. 

Many thanks for the identification.

53 minutes ago, doyler said:

Sigs

Ever see a yellow Talker / Gunners helmet? 

2021_10170037.JPG.651a708c14f30976327927a786a83272.JPG

2021_10170040.JPG.28495c44d1b5d000358b88c343eef49b.JPG

Oh yeah. Same thing. Debark station sometimes DC. Bright green ones were also used for the phone talkers on UnRep (Underway by Replenishment) stations.   Don’t recall ever seeing Gunners wear these. Gun Captains, yes, but crewmen,  not that I remember. I served on 5 inch 38, single and 3 inch 50 twin mounts. Just the Gun Captain that I remember. 

13 minutes ago, sigsaye said:

Oh yeah. Same thing. Debark station sometimes DC. Bright green ones were also used for the phone talkers on UnRep (Underway by Replenishment) stations.   Don’t recall ever seeing Gunners wear these. Gun Captains, yes, but crewmen,  not that I remember. I served on 5 inch 38, single and 3 inch 50 twin mounts. Just the Gun Captain that I remember. 

Thanks. Was found with some WW2 gear and foul weather suits.