OSS Lady

illinigander

illinigander

I realize this grouping is not as wonderful as some I see pictured, but I think this lady ought to be recognized for her service to the US in three related orginizations.  In 1959 our family moved into a new house in Aurora, Il.  The next door neighbors were truly senior citizens, and of Czech desent.  They explained they had a daughter who worked in Washington.  I met her that Christmas, and in talking to her, I found out she was a WW2 vet.  Next year, she gave me the little grouping you see, and I found out more about her story.  She graduated from Oberlin College in 1943, and immediatly enlisted in the Wac's.  She was an "Air Wac", as can be seen on her sweetheart braclet.  At some point she joined the OSS.  She was fluent in German, and the Czeck language was spoken in their home.  When the war ended, she just moved to the newly formed CIA.   She retired from the Agency about 1962, married, and moved to AZ.  By that time I was in college, and I never saw her again.

Her name was Maryanne Zeleney.  The only story I was told by her parents, was that several times when she was behind the Iron Curtain, she visited relatives who were members of the little village in Czechoslovakia, from which her family emigrated.  Much later I found out that her WAC uniform was in the collection of the Aurora Historical Society.  I stopped one time to try and photograph it, but was told they would need several weeks notice, before I could photograph it.  Really? 

For some reason your photographs didn't attach themselves to your post.  I'm pretty sure a lot of us would be interested in seeing this grouping.  I checked the OSS roster and there is no listing for a Maryanne Zeleney unless this is her married name and she is listed under her maiden name.  

illinigander

Tonomachi- I do not know, other than her family name.  Perhaps she was married to the A.F. on the sweetheart bracelet?  There are no other close family members.  Her father received a BA in mechanical engineering from the U. of MN, class of 1899.  I have his mechanical drawing set.  The point is that she would have to be in her upper 90's.

illinigander

5 hours ago, illinigander said:

Tonomachi- I do not know, other than her family name.  Perhaps she was married to the A.F. on the sweetheart bracelet?  There are no other close family members.  Her father received a BA in mechanical engineering from the U. of MN, class of 1899.  I have his mechanical drawing set.  The point is that she would have to be in her upper 90's.

illinigander

Thanks for these photos.  I believe I located part of her military records which indicates that Maryann Zeleney born circa 1911 and residing in Kane County, Illinois enlisted on October 29, 1942 in Chicago, Illinois.   The branch of service was listed as Women's Army Corps Aviation Cadet with four years of college and a serial number of A-602316.    The only other thing I found was a 1940s census listing her parents as Frank and Sophia Zeleney with a bother named Frank Zeleney Jr. while residing in Aurora, Kane County, Illinois.  This is all I could locate.  

illinigander

Tonomachi-Thanks for finding that Zeleny information.  Quite interesting to me.  So, it seems I was a year off, on my 61 year old memory of first talking with her.  She was a little older than I knew.  As an officer in the Air Wacs, I wonder if she was somehow involved in the transporation of the "good guys" in the ETO.  Her brother Frank was what my grandmother would have called an "Odd Duck".  He was unable to take care of himself and lived with his parents.  There were no descendants.

illinigander.

• 9 months later...