Vietnam Badges

27Division18

27Division18

I have the items of a Sp4 who served in the 77th artillery of the 101st Airborne in Vietnam in 1968-70. He was discharged in 1971/2 and went back in in 1980. I am not sure what belongs to him in the box where I placed this stuff.  Would this CIB possibly been his, as well as the wings, given the time he was in the service and his role?

IMG_0041.JPG

IMG_0042.JPG

IMG_0043.JPG

IMG_0070.JPG

IMG_0071.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
Cobra 6 Actual

Well, we’re just speculating, but the jump wings (4th and 5th pics) could be his. As for the 2nd Award Combat Infantryman Badge (CIB, in the first 3 photos) I doubt if he would have earned that badge because 1) He served in the Artillery, whereas the CIB is for Infantry and Special Forces (although a possibility is that he was Infantry and was a “retread” to Artillery), and 2) I don’t think he would have a second qualifying period to have earned the 2nd Award of the CIB. Safest thing would be to get a copy of his DD-214.

On 1/18/2022 at 9:56 PM, Cobra 6 Actual said:

Well, we’re just speculating, but the jump wings (4th and 5th pics) could be his. As for the 2nd Award Combat Infantryman Badge (CIB, in the first 3 photos) I doubt if he would have earned that badge because 1) He served in the Artillery, whereas the CIB is for Infantry and Special Forces (although a possibility is that he was Infantry and was a “retread” to Artillery), and 2) I don’t think he would have a second qualifying period to have earned the 2nd Award of the CIB. Safest thing would be to get a copy of his DD-214.

Thanks very much for your insight!