I better not catch the USMC patch collecting disease

ASMIC2971

I don’t really collect outside of US Army patches and uniforms, but I made an exception for these two groups. 

I was coming home from the cabin and made a stop at a large antique mall where I spotted the short timer piece, after having the case opened it was sitting on top of the remaining patches. No doubt they all came off the same flight jacket. I searched the entire case for a nametape or anything else related and no luck. 

Second set came offline and after my initial offer was declined I just bit the bullet and hit BIN. From what I’ve found out the flags would

have been sewn together and used as a blood chit.

As always any comments or clarifications are welcomed as I’m out of my element with USMC pieces. 

D1E50D3E-F7FC-4BDE-BEA9-361EB27441B9.jpeg

3F8F3FD7-DD42-4071-870B-A976EBE80E2B.jpeg

3D73EAD0-198B-4F5A-9712-955F139860F5.jpeg

To be fair, you didn't stray from your Army focus on that cammie blouse...the Marine Corps hasn't authorized or recognized division SSI since 1947. Not sure if the Army officially even recognizes its usage or if it's just something soldiers tend to do. I have seen this practiced most often by former Marines...but it's my understanding that since it's a Marine insignia, and since it's no longer an authorized insignia, that technically the Army can't officially authorize it...though what is written on paper isn't always enforced in practice.

Moral of the story...it's an Army piece

During the recent Iraq War, the Army authorized the wear by Soldiers of USMC SSI (some old and some new designs) as Former Wartime SSI if they had been attached to Marine Corps units. The US Army Institute of Heraldry website has the ones that can be worn. My own thought is that it was a misguided thing, but it was done.

Brig, you’re right I didn’t stray to far from the Army on that purchase as it’s on an Army uniform.  Some Army units are authorized to wear USMC combat patches as authorized by TOIH. 

I added the picture and not a description. I’ve been after a USMC combat patched DCU for awhile, the holy grail would be a 34th Division with USMC combat patch. I will be happy with this example until then. 

Many guys and gals I knew when I was in the 34th wore USMC combat patches. Many opted for those over the 34th Division patch they were also authorized. In my time in I saw the following USMC patches being worn:

- 1st MARDIV

- 2nd MARDIV

- I MEF

- II MEF

I once saw a soldier wearing a patch resembling one of the WWII USMC air wings, he was to far away to get a good look though. Also had an NCO on my deployment who was a cannon cocker in the gulf war with one of the Marine units, he wore a TM patch for that unit and wouldn’t part with the extra one!

65A92DF4-7C3C-477F-8E44-0B99CDA9A3C5.jpeg

I love that the Army resurrected the wear of Marine Patches. I know the Marines love the clean look so I totally understand the revocation of wearing patches on dress blues but I wish they would bring patches back on the service alphas. I always thought it was a handsome addition and those patches hold a lot of history. Personally think a resurrected Raiders patch would have been better than the Raiders Insignia but then again I’m Air Force so please take my opinions with the necessary grain of salt. Cool patch additions. Thanks for sharing.

Friar

That's the thing that interests me...the Army authorized them...but I don't think the Army technically had to authority to authorize them, since it's not their crest. It's an intricate question that I'm sure lawyers would love dissecting if it was a private firm lawsuit...but nobody is going to get twisted about it being military to military

I think they might actually have the authority since technically by law the Secretary of the Army is charged with all heraldry for the President and all Federal Agencies (including the various DoD departments.) At least that’s how I read this section from TIOH’s website. https://tioh.army.mil/AboutUs/mission.aspx

Friar

The Marine Corps has copyrighted most of its crests since that time, though, so more interestingly, would copyright law trump the Secretary of the Army? Getting deep now...I'll stop, not trying to derail the thread about the OP's new addiction