Elmer J. Hawes bracelet and badge

Backtheattack

Backtheattack

A friend of mine bought a grouping with a german flightbook and a bracelet and badge. Dealer told him the bracelet and badge was from an american pilot who was shot down by the owner of the flightbook. When he came to me with both us items I noticed some questions in this story. First the badge is for an aircrew member, not a pilot`s one, and second I know in WW1 a plane landed nearby a shotdown enemy, but I think no longer in WW2. Reason for this topic is my friend want to give back both to the family of the man. I found an enlistment record of a Elmer J. Hawes from Imperial County, California, enlistet in November 1944 at Ft.McArthur, San Pedro, California. Don`t know it is him. Any idea how to find his family?

Hawes1.jpeg

Hawes2.jpeg

Hawes3.jpeg

• 2 months later...

As far as I can find so far, these are the only Elmer Js that would have been able to serve in the Great War or WWII. One in the Army and one Medical and the third didn't serve. Wondering if your bracelet really has nothing to do with a plane, but perhaps could be for the Medical Gent or the Army gent.

I could not find a single AAF award card for Elmer Hawes. I could only find three US servicemen with the surname HAWES in the POW records. None are named Elmer.

My assessment is that someone has added two random items to the flight log.

Allan

14 minutes ago, Allan H. said:

I could not find a single AAF award card for Elmer Hawes. I could only find three US servicemen with the surname HAWES in the POW records. None are named Elmer.

My assessment is that someone has added two random items to the flight log.

Allan

I agree . . . I think the Army Tec4 and the Medical Elmer J.s are the options for this bracelet.

• 1 year later...

I am Elmer J Hawes daughter, Dawn Copeland.  My father served in the Army in WWII 1944 -1946.  He is the Tec4 from Imperial County California.  He always talked about driving the troops around Germany, but he never got to see the scenery since most transports were at night.  He wanted to go back post-war to see where he had been, but never had the opportunity.  I am trying to determine if this bracelet is my father's.  I don't believe he would have had the badge.  It is unclear if there are any markings on the back of the bracelet.  I have his military data to compare.  Please contact me.  Thank you.