Camo for Owen

Mike Tucker

Hey Mike

You the Man!! Those are some great pix!!!! Looks like 2 are wearing the French para jackets,

very very nice!!!

Heres a Laotian soldier wearing an odd pattern of camo, might be a copy of Brittish windproof

P

post-2472-1234720607.jpg

Hey Mike

You the Man!! Those are some great pix!!!! Looks like 2 are wearing the French para jackets,

very very nice!!!

Heres a Laotian soldier wearing an odd pattern of camo, might be a copy of Brittish windproof

P

Paul,

Gosh that guy looks so western in feature and build!

Chris

Paul,

Are you sure he's a Lao?? He looks distinctly western in facial features and build.

Chris

Yea he's a Lao, could be of half French decent, on the back of the photo is his name and rank, showing him a Para at Ft Seno, Laos 1962.

Yea I thought the same thing too when I was looking at it, but yea he's gotta be half caucasian,

Or he could even be a former French Para who just never left???

photo came with 800+ other ones all from one guy in White Star, some really really awsome pix!!!! Matt Dorn on the site got some from the same guy and Im in the process of buying an additional 300+ should make for an interesting book? :)

heres a few of those pix

p

post-2472-1234721638.jpg

post-2472-1234721748.jpg

Yea he's a Lao, could be of half French decent, on the back of the photo is his name and rank, showing him a Para at Ft Seno, Laos 1962.

Yea I thought the same thing too when I was looking at it, but yea he's gotta be half caucasian,

p

Gotcha,

I actually edited my post as I think I sounded a bit off in my question, I get that way sometimes! ;)

Chris

Gotcha,

I actually edited my post as I think I sounded a bit off in my question, I get that way sometimes! ;)

Chris

hey chris,

no worries :)

its all good, yea Im thinking the same thing, wish I knew the guy who took the pix, so I could ask him :)

P

post-2472-1234721846.jpg

post-2472-1234721873.jpg

Hello Mr.Tucker and Paul,

it isn't just Owen that will enjoy these i can assure you. Wonderful images posted.

The last trio shows what appears to be a smock cut in the French style with a very British looking ( or the Vietnamese copy of it) camo scheme.

Unless my tired eyes are playing tricks on me?

Patrick.

Mike ,

Thanks for the remarkable photos!!

You know how to float my boat for sure .

The Vietnamese Airborne were proud of their Lizard smocks for sure and this coutinued well into the Amercian phase of the war .

As the war went on and on the smocks seem to get lighter and lighter through repeated washing as the men held on to them ...

Looking at your shots Mike I am drawn to the Tall Viet wearing the Beogams and Beret .

Pactrick , this appears to be the pattern in your custom flightsuit ,and shirt as well as Vintage Productions Flight vest .

I could be wrong but it would be nice to date the pattern .

Mike and thoughts on what year ?

Pactrick ,

Your old eyes are still working , that IS a British Windproof pattern ,Viet cut French 51-53 smock !!!

Talk about all around the world !!!

Paul ,

As always you have fantastic photos .

The Wingproof set with the custom leg pockets as amazing .

I cannot wait to see your Whitestar book .

Mike thanks for posting , you will see some things posted by members here that will surprise you ,welcome .

owen

Pactrick ,

Your old eyes are still working , that IS a British Windproof pattern ,Viet cut French 51-53 smock !!!

Talk about all around the world !!!

owen

Hello Owen,

I agree with you, that's a british windproof pattern, vietnamese made but 47/54 cut (without beaver tail). In fact I'm sure this vietnamese paratrooper wanted to have a french airborne style jacket sign of the good ol days giving him a visible veteran status. Planned for walking out or off duty jacket, he could ask to have a simplified cut, no need of beaver tail on a Lambretta! I need to find the pic but I've been very surprised to notice a 47/56 (3snaps up-3snaps down) french airborne smock worn by Khong Le in Laos. The jacket has the late brownished camo pattern that appeared circa 58-59. That's the only pic that I've seen of this jacket in SE Asia.

Hope it could help!

Cheers

Valery

Looking at your shots Mike I am drawn to the Tall Viet wearing the Beogams and Beret .

Patrick , this appears to be the pattern in your custom flightsuit ,and shirt as well as Vintage Productions Flight vest .

I could be wrong but it would be nice to date the pattern .

Owen,

that is an intriguing possiblity....perhaps a larger scan of the photo will give more clues?

Patrick.

Mike .

Stop it ....

You are going to far with the Lizard images !!!!

The first tiger shirt was cut in this pattern in 1957 .

This shirt has always been one of my favourite pieces of camouflage .

Fantastic image

owen

Re,

I dug out the picture of Kong Le and an other officer.

jl6o9g.jpg This picture is as formyself the only one presenting a french airborne jacket TAP 47/56 in SE Asia.

Cheers

Valery

Hello Mike,

a larger scan would be both appreciated and kind.

The last image you have posted is fabulous too, many collectors would be (and are) dreaming of aquiring such an item.

Is he wearing his rank device over his beret insignia?

Patrick.

Hello Valery,

another great image!

Have you any idea as the the year this was taken?

Patrick.

Bonsoir Patrick,

Kong Le led the 2nd BP in the famous coup in august 1960 and stayed in Laos till the 15 November 1966 when Kong Le was dismissed as army chief and left the country. According to the pics of the coup (he was more slim and worn an highly desirable TAP 47/51 airborne set), I think thas this picture was taken circa 64-66. However I'm not fully sure of my assessment!

Cheers

Valery

P

Do you think that 56 type jacket looks colse to my custom Lizard ?

Look at the small buttons .

V

Super shot , thanks for posting

o

Thanks mate,

No, I checked (as I could, here is the best resoltion) the photo details and I can say that it's a french made jacket. It was perhaps a gift from a french advisor assigned at the french military mission in Laos?

Hope it could be useful

Cheers

Valery

Owen,

it's hard to tell from the shot, perspective does odd things to an object at times....again, a larger image may help.

Patrick.

EDIT: ah....Valery has already had the magnifying glass out.