A Rare Marine Uniform Comes Back from the Dead

Dirk

A year ago one of our Forum members gifted me this unique Marine jacket…made of linen, it was designed for fatigue duty in tropical climes and probably dates to c. 1900-1908.  I believe he said he found this in a thrift store, after being discarded by a West Coast costume house, and dyed green. The Forum member was able to remove the green dye before he passed it along to me. As noted, it’s got some really bad staining, it’s  torn, has holes, and by the time I got it was very, very fragile. The cuffs appeared altered and other items were sewn on to the jacket at one time…the buttons of course were missing and when I attempted to reattach a button to the jacket, it would start ripping. So after talking with him, I thought I wonder what a professional cloth restorer could do…..because these are not exactly common uniforms and might be worth preserving a dated from the Philippines Insurrection, Boxer Rebellion, and early seagoing China Marine period uniform....

5C0FFCE5-2968-4D46-B4DA-3FCC87C70C93.jpeg

C3B925FC-304C-455F-9401-F05D3E886F38.jpeg

FDE10159-7D02-4FA4-90A8-CE9BC488889A.jpeg

So in comes a professional, and after doing a visual inspection, agrees she could save it. According to her the badly stained part left uncleaned for years, as well as numerous washes, and poor storage weakened the material. She also found the uniform had at some point been taken out rather crudely…twice. Although some of the stained portion was too unstable to save, a period linen patch of closely matching color work wonders….new button hole openings, strengthening other parts of the jacket from the interior and a proper washing produced this…..she also felt the Marine cuffs were still present, but the costume house had sewed them under, but through her skill she removed some stitches “rediscovered” the Marine cuffs and restored them. And so now we have a displayable rare uniform….

B7B0DF35-4084-4244-806B-2AA99DDBFAE6.jpeg

9B95E055-C867-4E89-B7BF-4D582DA27E7C.jpeg

E06D07FC-60DE-4DA2-AB71-0C9F168B2D34.jpeg

54C49397-7A35-494D-BDE9-ADE9A3448EE5.jpeg

4FAA80FC-9F41-4B5F-93B8-269127C49840.jpeg

69919F3E-80F4-4D3A-AB0E-4EA73F8A3578.jpeg

1A4EB976-FEDC-42BC-9FB6-CCC6FDC8F118.jpeg

Salvage Sailor

Well Done, now it's a keeper and great period example for collectors to compare to their finds.

It's not often we see collectors opt to pay for a full restoration...I know it couldn't have been cheap. But bravo, it came out wonderfully

Thanks Brig! Still much cheaper then what they go for clean....displays well and learned from the restorer a bit of the history of the jacket through its needlework.

Yes I am sure you could ask her.…I can pm you her name if your interested. Not cheap, but well worth it if your more interested in preservation 

Beautifully done. Such a cool project. I love when history is saved. Do you happen to have a before shot of what the cuffs looked like? Thanks and again, well done!

Friar

As others have said, fantastic save! Professional conservation work is exacting work and time consuming. Beautiful work by a professional!

Thanks for posting it, something to be proud of!

BKW

Brian fully agree! Not always practical and not cheap….but when rarity is an issue, it’s worth considering. Plus I got the benefit of hearing what the conservator saw in the jacket as she was stabilizing….ie a bit of the history of the needlework, materials use etc. in this particular jacket’s history. 

Military_Curator

Extremely impressive restoration and drive on this one, Dirk! You have an amazing collection and this just highlights that.