Navy SA rate?

Siamundo

Saw this recently on a tombstone for a female veteran of the US Navy-

Deceased veteran's name

SA US Navy

Korea

What does the SA stand for? Is that a rank, or a specialty? I can't see to figure it out.

I assume it stands for Seaman Apprentice, equivalent to a modern E-2. Enlisted sailors have rates (as in pay rate) rather than rank, and it is not uncommon for a low rate to not have a specialty. 

Thank you, David. I had wondered about Seaman Apprentice, but I did not know if that would have been a rate a woman serving in the Navy in Korea in the early 1950's would have held.

As far as I know the US Navy has always used masculine gender names for rates and ratings. During WWII the WAVES did not have “Seawomen,” though you did ask about Korean War era (Apprentice Seaman replaced Seaman 2c in 1948). The Navy did a major change of the rating organization in 1948, and I do not believe a gender change was introduced at that time.

3C02A3E3-C80C-49D4-A2B1-8A3A17DE2FD8.jpeg.fc9e59dc69fc54d484b5b47b98bcff27.jpeg

1 hour ago, David Minton said:

As far as I know the US Navy has always used masculine gender names for rates and ratings. During WWII the WAVES did not have “Seawomen,” though you did ask about Korean War era (Apprentice Seaman replaced Seaman 2c in 1948). The Navy did a major change of the rating organization in 1948, and I do not believe a gender change was introduced at that time.

3C02A3E3-C80C-49D4-A2B1-8A3A17DE2FD8.jpeg.fc9e59dc69fc54d484b5b47b98bcff27.jpeg

I’d have to disagree with you David. “Seaman Apprentice” replaced Seaman Second Class in 1948. Been that way ever since. 

12 hours ago, sigsaye said:

I’d have to disagree with you David. “Seaman Apprentice” replaced Seaman Second Class in 1948. Been that way ever since. 

Sorry, I’ll blame autocorrect or brain misfire. The thread was about Seaman Apprentice, and somehow I typed Apprentice Seaman in the clarification to make things less clear. Thank you for catching my error. 

11 hours ago, David Minton said:

Sorry, I’ll blame autocorrect or brain misfire. The thread was about Seaman Apprentice, and somehow I typed Apprentice Seaman in the clarification to make things less clear. Thank you for catching my error. 

I was thinking that was the case. You’re really pretty up on all this and I look forward to you jumping in and helping me out when I get stuck or wrong. Happy New Year and Stay Safe Out There.