WWI Purple Heart with oakleaf

mvmhm

Nope, not a thumbnail (dang it). I was contacted by a couple who are downsizing in preparation for a move to a new home and Martha didn't know what to do with her uncle's Purple Heart, other than to throw it away. Thankfully a family friend referred her to me and I drove over to pick it up last night. I was hoping the oakleaf was would be a thumbnail, but there was no joy in Mudville on that point. The Heart has been found in a junk drawer when the family cleaned out the man's house after his death...he had no living NoK and never married or had kids.

The ribbon bat is the typical narrow type with a standard OLC on it...the one on the medal, while not a thumbnail, is visibly larger than the one on the ribbon bar though. There's a small "ball" on a string that he'd attached...when you loo closely at the ball it actually looks like a rose...who knows what significance that was to him.

IMG_20211228_160509.jpg

IMG_20211228_171130.jpg

IMG_20211228_171328.jpg

IMG_20211228_171427.jpg

Martha's father also served in the Ohio National Guard and in the 148th...she included this yard long (actually an 18-inch long); her dad is on the top row, third from the left....this was taken in 1938.

Mark sends

IMG_20211228_171130.jpg

eaglerunner88

Yet another piece of military history (named no less!) saved from the trash heap. Excellent and the grave marker is so specific right down to his company! Would be great to dig up the citation for his purple heart and learn more about his WWI experience.

Congratulations Mark on being the caretaker of this marvelous group.

This man was in his 40s during WWII.

Was he in WW1?

Did he get wounded in both wars?

Some very interesting research ahead.