WW2 Adhesive Compresses (Bandaids)

Survival

Thought I would add a topic for WW2 adhesive compresses.  Generally military issue adhesive compresses were 1" x 3" in size and generally came in a box of 16.   Feel free to add examples which is what I intend to do over time.  If you have the original box they came in be sure to include that also to help in confirming the time frame they were issued.  Thanks

#1 Johnson & Johnson ZO Bandage, Gauze, Adhesive.  Late war box.  Probably about the most common version.   

#2  Bay Division.  Parke Davis & Co.  Late war box   Bay's Readi-Bandage

#3 Bauer & Black division of the Kendall Co.  Late war box,  Handi-Tape

IMG_0833.JPG

IMG_0832.JPG

IMG_0834.JPG

#4  Seamless Rubber Company   Stickband  Possibly early to mid war version

#5  Seamless Rubber Company  Stickband   1944 / 1945 Version

IMG_0831.JPG

IMG_0829.JPG

IMG_0830.JPG

#1 Early War George Luft Company box with Johnson & Johnson Band Aids.  Found in a 24 Unit Luft assembled vehicle first aid kit

#2  Bays Readi-Bandages in an MSA Box.  These are out of a 12 unit MSA jeep first aid kit.  All the 12 unit MSA jeep kits I have seen have had the Bays brand band aids in MSA boxes like these.

#3  Bauer & Black Handi-Tape bandaids similar to above in a Bauer & Black Box

IMG_0839.JPG

IMG_0842.JPG

IMG_0835.JPG

#1 Burroughs Wellcome & Co.  Tabloid Adhesive Compresses  Commercial box found in an earlier war aeronautical first aid kit.

#2  Handy Pad Ideal Adhesive Strips.  These came from an earlier war vehicle first aid kit assembled by the Handy Pad Company

#3  E D Bullard Co. adhesive compress.   To my knowledge these were not a military contract.  These came out of a WW2 commercial Merchant Marine Life Boat Kit assembled by the Bullard Co.  One possible maybe is that in the very early war years the Bullard Co. apparently supplied cylindrical aluminum first aid kit for AAF  Boeing B 17 bombers.  These may have been included in those kits.

IMG_0840.JPG

IMG_0845.JPG

IMG_0844.JPG

I have a 23 unit US Coast Guard box that contains the Bullard brand 1x3 bandages. It's the only item made by Bullard in the box and it appears unmolested.

#1 Halperin Handy Adhesive Bandage.  Halperin had contracts for medical supplies during WW2 but at this time I am not 100% sure this style of their bandage were used in kits.  Reasonably sure this is WW2 era though.  May have seen similar in a WW2 commercial life boat kit.

#2  Industrial Drug Supplies Inc.  Adhesive Compresses.   Doubt these were ever a military contract.  This came out of a WW2 Commercial Merchant Marine Life Boat kit.

#3  These are generic post war adhesive compresses found in surplus 12 unit WW2 jeep first aid kits.  Usually in a box of 10 rather then 16.  These were assembled after WW2 by at least three companies.  Stafford Labs, Handy Pad Co., and The Eveready First Aid Kit Co.   They repurposed surplus 12 Unit Jeep Gas Causality First Aid Kits after the war with a mixture of military and commercial contents.  Slapped a piece of green tape over the lid where it s printed "For Gas Causality's Only"  and sold them commercially.  For the beginning collector these can be easily mistaken as actually military issue.

IMG_0846.JPG

IMG_0843.JPG

IMG_0847.JPG

IMG_0848.JPG

Davis Company Adhesive Absorbent Compress manufactured by the Johnson & Johnson Company.  Probably another more common brand.

Top left  Military contract as its overprinted in red with stock number and that they are brown in color

Top right.  Should be military issue in a commercial box as this style is found in a number of earlier first aid kits assembled by the Davis Company

Bottom left. I believe this is probably a pre war version as it has a patent date of 1924 and to me just looks pre war.  Totally unconfirmed.

Bottom right.  Similar to the typical war time version but has a more paper like lighter covering.  I personally thought of these as possibly post war but again that is only an opinion.

IMG_0837.JPG

#1  MSA Waterproof adhesive compresses.  This style in commercial packaging was probably used in military contracts as the master carton is dated Oct 1941. Their stock # is FA-12415

#2  George Luft branded box but the Adhesive Compresses were manufactured by the MSA Company.  Note the wrapper is more of a white colored paper version.  Came out of another George Luft 24 unit vehicle kit

IMG_0849.JPG

IMG_0850.JPG

16-1 INCH, ADHESIVE ABSORBENT COMPRESSES, MANUFACTURED BY JOHNSON & JOHNSON, DISTRIBUTED ONLY BY DAVIS EMERGENCY EQUIPMENT COMPANY, INC., NEWARK, NJ

957991071_DAVISAdhesiveComp1InchBoxof1601.jpg.3e676775f6a9e65580db9267117631af.jpg

700639073_JOHNSONJOHNSONZO92001001In(02)-Copy.jpg.8685897e705c7d5d4b621bd9a6ae45de.jpg

1705947810_DAVISAdhesiveComp1InchBoxof1606.jpg.cf4eced2f6653f3ff9c12619e3ba51d9.jpg