77th Division Club key fob. "IF FOUND RETURN TO"

Boy Howdy

Found this in a box of mostly junk at an antique store.

I was wondering f there is any way to trace the original owner through the number stamped into the metal.

Also does anyone know what year this might be from?

Thank you.

processed-fa920a62-13a4-4320-886f-1793ad4bcd9e_DU83G8EA.jpeg

processed-ac9a85cd-a64c-4ada-a753-04c443c06780_QdmgydoM.jpeg

I did some quick searches in The Google, but could not find out whether the 77th Division Club is still active, went defunct, or got absorbed by another organization.

It's probably a good bet that the identity has been lost to history.

Kevin

Kevin,

I found info on Google that said they got the deed to the building in 1928 and another article from 1958 that indicated they were still there.

So maybe it dates from 1928 or so?

5 hours ago, Boy Howdy said:

Kevin,

I found info on Google that said they got the deed to the building in 1928 and another article from 1958 that indicated they were still there.

So maybe it dates from 1928 or so?

That suggests to me that it could be from any time between 1928 and at least 1958, or later.  But, I would lean towards a pre-WWII timeframe as I think that in the post-war years, trinkets like this went by the wayside.

KB

Now that you mention it. I do seem to recall that all of this type of key tag I've had are pre WW 2 or much older.

Boy Howdy, I’ve got one of these too and always wondered if the numbers were traceable. Since these were most likely a roaring 20s or late 30s addition to the 77th Division club and it’s been nearly a century since then I don’t think they ever will be traceable. Unless some data sheet that survived can be found. These pop up every now and then and it’s neat to see them. Great pickup. 

F306C0DF-F9F7-4034-ACD4-AF64D9CA0E19.jpeg

507013E9-A89F-4828-B3BF-0F5BA49D5BBD.jpeg

Thanks CWG.

There is so much information lost to time. 

I love finding this type of thing in unexpected places.

I had a patient who was a 77th Vet from WW 2. Fought and was wounded in the Pacific theater. He was definitely part of the greatest generation. RIP Ernest! You earned it 

BH

• 3 weeks later...

i remember in the 1980s nyc on east side there was a hotel for service men who needed a place to stay in the city during there visit.

i think it was on 2rd ave ,south of 56th.  north of 42rd st.  it was a little walk up as wide as a brownstone, might have been a brownstone converted.

Marine/sailor was on front of bldg.

have not been to city in 3 years, so i cannot drive by.

maybe if it is still there, staff may be able to assist if anyone walks by this area and this small hotel is still present.

• 4 months later...
On 1/21/2022 at 6:25 AM, conn said:

i remember in the 1980s nyc on east side there was a hotel for service men who needed a place to stay in the city during there visit.

i think it was on 2rd ave ,south of 56th.  north of 42rd st.  it was a little walk up as wide as a brownstone, might have been a brownstone converted.

Marine/sailor was on front of bldg.

have not been to city in 3 years, so i cannot drive by.

maybe if it is still there, staff may be able to assist if anyone walks by this area and this small hotel is still present.

This is it here, Soldiers', Sailors', Marines', Coast Guard And Airmens' Club passed it a hundred times over the years, it seems to be closed now, not sure

1033145045.jpg

1724679568_sailors_soldiersclubpkgcc3471095236102035png(1).png

On the back of the 77th Division Club key tag there is an address. I believe the club closed long ago but I wondered what is left of the building. Here’s what I found when searching on Google Earth the address on the back. Wish there was an old photo showing what the club might have looked like back in the day - in fact I believe I’ve seen one before but it was some time ago and I searched a local New York City online paper archive. 

0E9F3B64-5C85-4C83-B0A4-FB1472723103.png

0E7081B7-2F3F-44A1-8BDD-E2CE2B601D0A.png