USMC Approved swords.

HDMR65

Does anyone know if there is a data base for the "Mameluke named swords"?  I have acquired a Mameluke "USMC app serial #322, with an engraved name of James O. Shuler on the blade.  I attempting to get any information on the creation of the sword.  Thank you.

Your;e welcome. Happy New Year ! Search the forum for answers. Many times I do a google search and some of the results, direct me to this forum.

Cheers !

• 1 year later...

I have a bit more info on Marine mameluke swords made by N. S. Meyer and marked with “Serial Number 322”.  I just bought the sample sword which Meyer submitted to Marine Uniform Board for contract approval.  The submitted example was approved by the Marines for sale to Marines. A signed approval certificate was attached with a lead sealed wire to the hilt which designated the sword as “Serial No. 322” with the approval date of “1 FEB 1956”.  I don’t know what the rules were in 1956, but currently the certificates must be renewed every three years.  If the same rules were in effect in 1956, the certificate number 322 would have expired in 1959.  Thus any mamelukes with the number “322” stamped on the spine of the blade was probably made between 1956 and 1959.

Meyer 322 1.png

Meyer 322 2.png

Meyer 322 6.jpg

Meyer 322 3.png

Meyer 322 5.png

Meyer 322 7.png

The individual who sold the Marine mameluke sword discussed above also sold two other production sample swords which N. S. Meyer submitted to the Marine Corps for approval.  One was the "CONQUEROR" version of the mameluke and the other was the other was a M1859 NCO Sword.

- The "CONQUEROR" had a stainless steel blade;  the “DEFENDER” had a conventional steel blade.  The swords both share the same “322” serial number and the certificates were both dated 1 Feb 1956.

- The NCO sword was brand named “CONQUEROR” and the certification is dated “AUG 16 1956”.

The certification program is described in a Marine Corps Technical Manual -- TM10120-15/2, which requires vendors wishing to sell swords to Marines to submit two sample swords to the Marine Corps Systems Command (MarCorSysCom) for inspection.  Once the swords pass inspection, MarCorSysCom issues a certification letter and certification number to the vendor.  A certification tag is attached to each submitted sample showing the item’s identification, certified source, and an assigned Certification Number.  One of the tagged swords is returned to the vendor and the second is retained by the Command.  The vendor must etch the certification number into the blade.  The vendor must renew its certification every five years.    (In my note above, I said the certification number had to be renewed every three years.  As noted, it is actually five, so the Serial Number 322 would have presumably been valid for 1956 – 1961).

The requirement for officers to have a sword was suspended in WWII.  Marine Corps Letter of Instruction 609, dated 29 October 1942, promulgated SecNavy directive of 15 Oct 1942 which abolished the sword as part of the uniform for "Navy, Coast Guard, and Marine Corps".  At the end of the war, the Commandant of the Marine Corps wanted to reinstate the mameluke as part of the uniform and on 10 October 1945 released Letter of Instruction 1160 revoking LOl 609.  Unfortunately, there were no makers available to make the swords (Lilley-Ames had just declared bankruptcy), so for this and other bureaucratic problems, the implementation date for officers to have a sword was delayed until 1953. 

I suspect these swords were submitted by N. S. Meyer were in response to the reestablished requirement for all Marine officers to have a sword.  It appears the Hilborn/Hamburger mamelukes marked with Serial Number 323 were submitted about the same time.

Meyer 322 Conqueror 5.jpg

Meyer 322 Conqueror 8.jpg

Meyer 322 Conqueror 9.jpg

Meyer 372 1.jpg

Meyer 372 6.jpg

Meyer 372 5.jpg

• 10 months later...

reschenk - Thank you for all of the very useful and expansive information.  I had been at a loss trying to track down any information on the sword.  Do you know if there is a registry for the purchased swords?  There are several businesses where the sword could have been purchased.