Odd circlets from the Civil War era?

I just purchased these and have no idea what they are. I din't even have them yet, so the exact size is unknown. However, they certainly look like Civil War era "circlets" (maybe even earlier)? I have seen circlets with regimental numbers, etc. for wear on epaulettes. And I have seen circlets with officer ranks for wear on the cuffs in the field. But these have the federal eagle / shield design with possibly a sun-ray sort of detail. Perhaps a staff insignia? State insignia? Furthermore, the background appears off white. I thought maybe the top fabric was totally mothed away leaving a white backing. But when I look at the back they may indeed be white disks. I also see a few fragments of a grass green thread on the edges. In any case, I was REALLY HOPING someone could help me with an ID and any other info they may have. I think these are pretty neat insignia whatever they are.

Screenshot_20211226-152611_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20211226-152624_eBay.jpg

Just in case it prompts some discussion, if you look at the Illinois state flag you will see an eagle and shield, with a sun to the right. These have a striking similarity in detail. I am beginning to think they are related to an Illinois unit pre Civil War = Civil War era...

• 4 weeks later...

With the 1868 date on the Illinois State seal pictured above, I think that was the time that shield was adopted

illinigander