Is this a genuine 1949 Camillus ?

The Rooster

Hello all,

Is this a real Genuine 1949 Camillus? I have been studying images over the ones that belong to forum members and this one has a different style

post on the screwdriver blade. Different from all the other known examples Ive seen.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333964644478?hash=item4dc1d8107e:g:aDEAAOSwichge5iQ&autorefresh=true

The seller is asking $750.00 or best.

It seems okay except for that post ?

dww.jpg.5618b682af88f03f17566bf5f9606388.jpg

d.jpg

s.jpg

sd.jpg

v.jpg

Hi,

You have a very interesting question here.  The thumb stud on the ebay knife is clearly different.  What does that mean?  There are two or three forum members that have a 1949 Camillus, so maybe we'll see what theirs look like.  If these little knives were prototypes for Camillus,  They were probably hand made. Maybe they did not think it too important to have the exact same stud on each screw driver blade.   The real truth here is that there are not enough of them out there to compare.  However, I would not let that stud stop me from calling this one legit. Just my opinion.

Marv

Hi Marv,

I read in an older post on here a comment by Frank Trzaska, that this type of post shown in the image below,

Is the only type post he has ever seen on any of them, and is unique to the 1949 model. I'm not doubting you, Im a novice, its just

for that kind of money, the post scares me off. Especially after I read that comment from Frank Trzaska.

Do you think its maybe a replacement for the original pin? Or is it a variant nobody has ever heard of?

If Franks makes a point of comparing the studs on these 1949s , I would listen carefully.  Could it have been replaced?  Sure.  Perhaps I would take the chance if the price was much much lower than 750.  To make things worse, I found out that China makes some real good fakes of certain Benchmade knives.  Is this a fake. I shudder to think. As I study the pictures, I notice that the main blade is near perfect, and the rest of the knife seems worn and polished up.   As far as being a variant?  No one can say.

I'm one of those with a 1949.  This looks like a frankenknife to me.  The stud for the screwdriver blade is wrong. So at least that part is a replacement.  Much of the 1949's is what you see on the later Camillus MIL-K-818's also.  So it can be hard to say when something is original or a replacement.  The can opener on the 1949 looks the same to me as later one's. There is a slight difference in the shape of the awl/punch on my 1949 than what I see on Camillus MIL-K's from 1958-1969.

This is not a scientific comparison, but observations of personal examples.

I asked the seller for a few more pictures. Besides the other odd things mentioned.

The one where the clavicle is attached in a sloppy off set manner, seems strange for a knife that they made very few of

to win a govt contract.

gg.jpg

ff.jpg

bb.jpg

The odds say that the screwdriver blade was replaced, which would mean that the original pin had to be cut and a new one made to replace the screwdriver blade. 

Im guessing the whole thing is not worth much? Certainly not 750.00 or best?

Maybe the blade being the only real  part?

The landyard ring cant be original with the offset rivet , can it?

Like you said it seems like a franken knife rather than an original 1949.