WWI 2nd ID Engineer Patch, SSI, PP, or Fantasy

rtd_sf_eng

This is my third attempt to find out if the patch is from the WWI period or much later.  The Indian head and castle, which are two separate items, are painted.  I have the patch listed in my pocket patch collection.  Comments?

Larry

0002nd Eng Regt-F.jpg

0002nd Eng Regt-R.jpg

Have yet to see a WW 1 pocket patch for any unit.

This was never sewn on and have yet to see a WW 1 patch glued on.  The fact there are no uniform remnants on the glue would corroborate my statement, I have no idea what it was glued to. I have seen WW II TM patches glued to photo albums, never a WW I album; doesn't mean the albums don't exist. 

Further, perhaps this is a memento patch some dough w/ time on his hands made to bring home. 

Larry, this same type of painted indianhead Brian calls "Chief Hairy Feathers" on his excellent forum primer on WWI/Occupation era 2nd Div patches: 

I would suspect your patch was purchased by a doughboy and instead of being worn on a uniform, placed in a photo album remembering his time in Coblenz during the occupation.  I have had numerous occupation era photo albums with unit patches glued inside the cover or on one of their pages. The face and headdress details on yours are near identical to the ones shown here in post 130. Its really a piece of art!

• 4 weeks later...

After reviewing the website from AustionO's posting, I am inclining to go with very possibility that it is from WWI or Post-WWI period.  Cool!  And I'm moving the patch from PP to my SSI collection.

Larry