WASP wings and insignia

TheWarFrontOR

TheWarFrontOR

Hey guys,  

Recently came across this small collection.  I'd be happy if one of those were real honestly.  The Josten pair have a slight curvature to them. I've been told that the other two may be reunion wings. They are both extremely well made, the pinback pair with embossed sterling,  the clutch back with indented sterling mark.  

Any information or opinions would be deeply appreciated as I'm hesitant to pronounce myself on their authenticity or nature.

Thanks!

20211223_190528.jpg

20211223_190544.jpg

20211223_190732.jpg

20211223_190739.jpg

20211223_190914.jpg

20211223_190927.jpg

20211223_192607.jpg

20211223_192522.jpg

I think your Josten wing might have a chance, but there is no way to tell with these photos. Good high quality pics are a must for a proper evaluation and remove the clutch devices too.

As for the rest of the group, I would agree with LuftStalg1.

rathbonemuseum.com

@TheWarFrontORI too believe what you have is a collection of cast copies. None of them are original issue WASP graduation wings made by Josten from 1943/44 or the reunion wings made by Robbins in the 70s. The Josten wing you have is based on the original wing but the originals were die struck and these are cast in a mold. One tell in the photo is the uneven width of the diamond ridges on the back of the wing. On the die struck originals these are perfectly even in width. Also, the hallmark is very even in terms of depth and crispness. Finally, the edges around the wing should be sharp right angles, not soft rounded edges like here. 

Was hoping to give better news. But they are great as fillers or re-enactor wear.

Cheers,

Tod

Sorry, I should have explained why, it's not very helpful just say "junk".   One easy way to spot cast is the smooth rounded edges.  The cast itself is always of a material that repels the casting metal, in this case Sterling silver.  So the edge of a cast piece will be smooth and rounded.  Nothing that would cut you no matter how hard you tried.  Die struck process punches the item out of flat stock material and will have crisp sharp edges.  Among other things to look for that is the easiest.