M1917?

Bill H.

Hello. This is my first post. I hope that it's in the right place. I've got this helmet that looks like it might be an M1917. I don't know.

It was out in my garage in a box that had been there for years. I really know nothing about helmets and this is the only one I've found, so far.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

100_6842.JPG

100_6843.JPG

100_6844.JPG

100_6847.JPG

100_6848.JPG

100_6850.JPG

Thats a nice ww1 American made M1917. You can tell by the rivets for the chinstrap bails.

Us Helmets have round head rivets. The British brodie has a split butterfly rivet head in the same spot. You can see the split rivet in the picture below of a British Brodie.

Yours is US made.

2095031174_DSCF4295-Copy.JPG.fff5eccdaab4dc6a59931b66e54bd935.JPG

I was typing this as The Rooster submitted the above response. 

Hello, I believe you have a US M1917. Nice combat texture on the shell. Here’s a link that shows and describes the difference between the US and British versions during WWI. 

https://alexanderandsonsrestorations.com/british-mark-brodie-u-s-p17-know-difference/

It sounds like you may have more helmets or militaria in your garage. Let us know what you may find. Is it your stuff that you forgot about?

Regards,

Frank

1 hour ago, The Rooster said:

Thats a nice ww1 American made M1917. You can tell by the rivets for the chinstrap bails.

Us Helmets have round head rivets. The British brodie has a split butterfly rivet head in the same spot. You can see the split rivet in the picture below of a British Brodie.

Yours is US made.

2095031174_DSCF4295-Copy.JPG.fff5eccdaab4dc6a59931b66e54bd935.JPG

Thank you for the excellent info.

1 hour ago, M24 Chaffee said:

I was typing this as The Rooster submitted the above response. 

Hello, I believe you have a US M1917. Nice combat texture on the shell. Here’s a link that shows and describes the difference between the US and British versions during WWI. 

https://alexanderandsonsrestorations.com/british-mark-brodie-u-s-p17-know-difference/

It sounds like you may have more helmets or militaria in your garage. Let us know what you may find. Is it your stuff that you forgot about?

Regards,

Frank

That's a good article. I wish I had family members to ask about this helmet. I'm guessing it was my grandfathers.

No it's not my stuff. I didn't serve. Just inherited it.

1 hour ago, M24 Chaffee said:

If the B49 stands for the manufacturer, I wonder which one. Also, what year was this helmet made?

That article from Alexander and Sons contains a number of inaccuracies, not least of which is that there is no such thing as a "P17 helmet".

The lot number 49 was assigned in October 1917.

1 hour ago, aef1917 said:

There's almost no asbestos exposed, so I wouldn't worry.

its looking in poor condition the pad, blued, so it very well could deteriorate, also, precautionary for if you wanna replace it

21 hours ago, aef1917 said:

That article from Alexander and Sons contains a number of inaccuracies, not least of which is that there is no such thing as a "P17 helmet".

The lot number 49 was assigned in October 1917.

“P17” That is a pretty glaring error. Presently I’m out of town and the Wi-Fi connection we have now is slow. Yesterday I was having trouble with the Wi-Fi and finding the links from the forums here. It’s a little better today. Here’s a link from this website with good stuff and many informative contributions from member aef1917. https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/search/&q=US or British &type=forums_topic&page=1&quick=1&nodes=1667&search_and_or=and&sortby=relevancy

I need to be more careful before I post things! I hope you’ll be finding more interesting stuff in your garage! 

Frank

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2021 at 11:28 AM, daswrack said:

its looking in poor condition the pad, blued, so it very well could deteriorate, also, precautionary for if you wanna replace it

Not sure why you'd want to replace it. The pad over the asbestos is in good shape. As long as it is undisturbed, there is little chance of an issue.