WW1 timepieces

River Rat 1

17 hours ago, kfields said:

Here is another family piece. It belonged to my uncle's father who served with a signal unit in the 38th Division in WW1. It came with the box (unmarked) which I presume is from that era . Crystal has a crack in it.

The underside of the leather band shows a lot of wear so I'm sure it was worn a lot .

Kim

IMG_20220224_155000091~2.jpg

IMG_20220224_155031432~2.jpg

IMG_20220224_155144344~2.jpg

Great looking watch and box.  Hard to find in that good original  condition.  Does it run?  Thanks for posting the picture.

Dennis

15 hours ago, dhcoleterracina said:

This one is part of a larger group belonging to a soldier who was wounded in WW1. It's heavily worn and he may have been wearing it when wounded. The hands or one of them is loose inside the case. The watch is marked Ingersoll Midget.  

IMG_1788.JPG

IMG_1789.JPG

Could you tell us a little bit about the soldier and grouping?  It looks like an interesting one.  Thanks.

Dennis

56 minutes ago, bertmedals said:

Thanks Dennis. No it's not running. My aunt passed away late last year and I'm the executor of her estate. I just got access to her bank savings deposit box this week and this gem was in there. I do have a watch repair guy and I may take this to him. Kim

Great looking watch and box.  Hard to find in that good original  condition.  Does it run?  Thanks for posting the picture.

Dennis

dhcoleterracina

Dennis,  the grouping belonged to Sgt Neil McDonald, not pictured were boxes for the medals and a stack of maps where he fought. I didn't locate the award card so maybe this one slipped by me. I'll need to order one when they open. The watch is my favorite part of this group.  

6 hours ago, dhcoleterracina said:

Dennis,  the grouping belonged to Sgt Neil McDonald, not pictured were boxes for the medals and a stack of maps where he fought. I didn't locate the award card so maybe this one slipped by me. I'll need to order one when they open. The watch is my favorite part of this group.  

Thank you -- a fine Buckeye Sergeant from Fremont, Ohio!  His entry in the "Official Roster of Ohio Soldiers, Sailors and Marines in the World War" is attached in the event you did not have it.

Dennis

Neil McDonald Ohio Soldiers Entry.pdf

• 1 month later...
albatrosdva

Got to add another 1918 Elgin Pershing to the collection the other day. It arrived in the mail today. I'm pretty excited as it has an interesting setup. I've never seen another Pershing with a cushion case. Cushion case refers to the shape of the case, square, rather pillow shaped. When you think WWI timepiece one typically thinks solid wire lugs to hold the strap. Well in 1918 the first cases came out with the modern spring bar. image.png.f161840f3bc4972ff882c8907a0b5945.pngimage.png.49157603f31ccd912eba624f0247b9f5.pngimage.png.f4ac1ab885ae9af462e6c18628f8cbb6.png

• 5 months later...

Here is a WW1 era wristwatch I picked up this past weekend at the local country flea market here in Ohio. Had to dig deep and pay the man $20!

Doesn't work but remarkably still has the original leather band! Marked 'Everbrite' on the dial and a 7 jewel swiss movement. Back cover is marked as shown so maybe put together by Elgin?

Would like to get it going again.

Kim

IMG_20220906_152424443~3.jpg

IMG_20220906_152444285~3.jpg

IMG_20220906_152611267~2.jpg

IMG_20220906_152629341.jpg

IMG_20220906_152522264~2.jpg

This size 14 Elgin pocket watch that was factory monogrammed ("LGH") belonged to my grandmother's oldest brother.  He enlisted in 1912 and was discharged in 1916 as a quartermaster 2cl.  He  was rated a chief quartermaster several months later when he registered in the US Naval Reserve Force in May 1917 and was attached to the Naval Training Station, Newport, RI.   Commissioned an ensign in January 1918, he served on USS Arizona and later the mine layer USS Saranac, one of the ten "planters" of Mine Squadron One that laid the 56,000 mine Northern Barrage from Norway to the Orkney Islands in the North Sea off Scotland.  The watch runs fine, although it hasn't been serviced in at least 75 years.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5a.jpg

6 USS Saranac Officers marked.jpg

7 sized.jpg

8 USS_Saranac_ID-1702_ enh.jpg

9 NH 41736.jpg

10.jpg

18 minutes ago, aerialbridge said:

This size 14 Elgin pocket watch that was factory monogrammed ("LGH") belonged to my grandmother's oldest brother.  He enlisted in 1912 and was discharged in 1916 as a quartermaster 2cl.  He  was rated a chief quartermaster several months later when he registered in the US Naval Reserve Force in May 1917 and was attached to the Naval Training Station, Newport, RI.   Commissioned an ensign in January 1918, he served on USS Arizona and later the mine layer USS Saranac, one of the ten "planters" of Mine Squadron One that laid the 56,000 mine Northern Barrage from Norway to the Orkney Islands in the North Sea off Scotland.  The watch runs fine, although it hasn't been serviced in at least 75 years.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5a.jpg

6 USS Saranac Officers marked.jpg

7 sized.jpg

8 USS_Saranac_ID-1702_ enh.jpg

9 NH 41736.jpg

10.jpg

You can trace the Elgin serial number to a date of manufacture.

Serial # dates the watch to 1921.   So, he probably bought it around the time he received his WWI Victory medal or earlier, since the Navy didn't begin taking requests for the medal until August 1920.  I believe I read somewhere the first medals weren't distributed until 1921.  From what I read, he could have elected to have the service clasp that Arizona qualified for, but I think he made the right choice for selecting Saranac's qualifying service.  Unfortunately, he didn't date the receipt for his medal that I display with his watch and name engraved (acid etched?) sword and leather scabbard.   I'm not sure what the database means by "adjusted to 3 positions" while the watch says "six adjustments".   Perhaps apples and oranges. 

IMG_4428 (1).jpg

Elgin.jpg

VICTORY MEDAL RECEIPT.jpg

Thanks!  My great-uncle's WWI era Navy artifacts are the pride and joy of my collection.   I've been meaning to do a post under groupings since there's history beyond the things that some folks might find interesting.  BTW, the sailor in my avatar is my grampa who married his youngest sister. The doughboy is one of my grampa's older brothers.

This is my Grandfather's WWI wrist watch, John L. Sullivan, USMC, Marine Fleet Sea Duty, USS Fredrick. It is an Ingersoll, not working, but so glad the family keep his items. I have his USMC Ring and ID Bracelet also.

Tim

500E26E8-6244-43F3-92C7-C10327A0BF59_1_105_c.jpeg.ea6ebeefe86fb2264672ebc0c4b6a627.jpeg

6B791086-5DDC-4E46-AE32-7639E81442C8.jpeg

E699FA2C-8339-4F22-B06D-AFECC7E95A6A.jpeg

6F3C9F64-5CCF-476D-B9E2-0A3C2546C6CD_1_105_c.jpeg

On 9/11/2022 at 1:23 PM, Outtair said:

This is my Grandfather's WWI wrist watch, John L. Sullivan, USMC, Marine Fleet Sea Duty, USS Fredrick. It is an Ingersoll, not working, but so glad the family keep his items. I have his USMC Ring and ID Bracelet also.

Tim

That's a neat watch and a great family group to have!   Is it possible to see close ups of the WWI Victory medal and his good conduct medal, if it's engraved on the back?  

As requested here is the back of his GCM. I have also included John L. Sullivan JR., his son and my mothers brother. His ship YMS-409, went down off Cape Hatteras 9/14/1945  with 33 aboard, no survivors, during  a huge storm, no communication at the time.

Tim

C6042767-8415-4724-AE48-72E5B42FBA5D.jpeg

3C31F504-8ECF-4043-A16B-A73B60F31E83_1_201_a.jpeg

12 hours ago, Outtair said:

As requested here is the back of his GCM. I have also included John L. Sullivan JR., his son and my mothers brother. His ship YMS-409, went down off Cape Hatteras 9/14/1945  with 33 aboard, no survivors, during  a huge storm, no communication at the time.

Tim

Tim, That is not just one great WWI timepiece, but a fantastic USMC/USN family grouping, and a father/son group.  It would be cool to get that old Ingersoll running again with a top notch watchmaker.  It looks to be in great shape and maybe not a tough fix.  And on the bright side,  even now, it keeps great time twice a day.  The good conduct medal is beautifully engraved.  And of course, both of their middle names were "Lawrence" since they were named after the great boxer John L. Sullivan, who sadly died in the middle of America's fight in World War One,  on Feb. 2, 1918.   If you wanted to, your family grouping would be great posted in the "Groupings" section and each item highlighted, a lot of great militaria there.  The sterling engraved bracelets are also stunning. Really tragic that your uncle was lost at sea in a storm a few months after the end of World War II, condolences for his loss.   Just one other question,  what's the engagement bar say on your grandfather's World War I victory medal?  Thanks for posting your family militaria, it's great that your relatives saved it and kept it for you.  IMO It's in the best place since it never left the family- no excuses and no regrets.  

3 hours ago, aerialbridge said:

Tim, That is not just one great WWI timepiece, but a fantastic USMC/USN family grouping, and a father/son group.  It would be cool to get that old Ingersoll running again with a top notch watchmaker.  It looks to be in great shape and maybe not a tough fix.  And on the bright side,  even now, it keeps great time twice a day.  The good conduct medal is beautifully engraved.  And of course, both of their middle names were "Lawrence" since they were named after the great boxer John L. Sullivan, who sadly died in the middle of America's fight in World War One,  on Feb. 2, 1918.   If you wanted to, your family grouping would be great posted in the "Groupings" section and each item highlighted, a lot of great militaria there.  The sterling engraved bracelets are also stunning. Really tragic that your uncle was lost at sea in a storm a few months after the end of World War II, condolences for his loss.   Just one other question,  what's the engagement bar say on your grandfather's World War I victory medal?  Thanks for posting your family militaria, it's great that your relatives saved it and kept it for you.  IMO It's in the best place since it never left the family- no excuses and no regrets.  

Aerialbridge,  I typed a long answer to the mystery to send to you but your messages are locked out.