Merry Grenadier Christmas

ccyooper

15 hours ago, Quartermaster said:

Ho Ho Ho - Merry Christmas!!!

IMG_0007a.JPG.0e829be3f9d2af1634faae7daae7f0f2.JPG

Wow, where did you get so many linked rounds. Are they 12.7mms (.50cals) or 7.7mms? impressive grenades too.

Looks like WW2 dated .30 M2 rounds-if so the blue ( incendiary) , the black ( AP) and red ( WW2 - post war tracer is orange) are desirable to cartridge collectors. You probably know that, thanks for posting. Is the clothe Russell .30 belt dated?

Quartermaster

Hello all,

To the question as to where did I get all those linked rounds (and the belted rounds, too)?  It takes research, luck and persistence plus getting the militaria collecting bug rather long ago when internet sales were less regulated, before the competition of new collectors grew, and the wealth of goodies offered at local gun/militaria shows that are rarely seen today. 

All the rounds shown (plus more not displayed) are all 30-06 Springfield rounds with headstamps and dates mostly WW2 or earlier.  Some time ago I lucked into owning an early assembled dummy M1919A1 complete with tripod, T&E and a crank cloth belt loader.  As in all my collecting tangents, the first thing I do is get the correct manuals and begin extensive research to learn how something works and what accessories go along with the item.  Then the amassing of what was needed to complete the display!  Back in the day, I frequented gun shows and learned to look under the tables which unearthed large quantities of shot WW2 or earlier brass which I grabbed, tumbled clean then resized and inserted the correct bullet head. Along the way I found a big box of correct metal links, too!  Loading the cloth belts wasn’t much of a task but the metal links proved to be sort of time consuming. 

(As aside – I didn’t include the belted 50 cal dummy round or most of the hand and rifle grenades & signals as I didn’t want to overwhelm the “Christmas tree motif!)

For 917601 – actually as I was looking for display that demonstrating the weapon setup plus the large quantity of ammo (and boxes) that were required.  I turned to my TM 9-1900 to get correct ammo included in each belt - - thus I matched the paint from the color plates and dipped all those bullet tips then ordered them as they were supposed to be supplied from the contractor.  (Sorry – really not collectible but they do catch the eye – as with you!)

I checked my cloth belts that I could get to easily and found one RMC 42 (Russell Manufacturing Co), one Russell 42 (mint unused & still rolled and tied), two Schlegel Mfg Co 1943 & 4/43, and one unmarked belt.   

The irony of it all is that my main focus of collecting WW2 is the Quartermaster Corps as that’s what my dad was in the Pacific but my interests strayed through a love of history and research combined with finding an occasional interesting tid-bit which led to an unintended tangent (engineer – demolitions, Signal Corps, dummy weapons that a Quartermaster wouldn’t usually use.)  I always viewed my living history persona more like Crap Game (Rickles) and not Kelly (Eastwood)!  My motto – never leave behind a period wool blanket or a .30 cal ammo can – you never know when you might need another one!

As I am now retired and thinking that much of my collection needs to move to others that would appreciate these items as much as I do.  Sadly I am beginning to work at divesting much of my militaria.

Along the way I found a big box of correct metal links, too!
——————-

Metal linked ammo was initially issued for Navy, AAF MGs only. Very, very late war , last few months metal linked ammo was seen in the European theatre with Army ground forces. Also, blue tipped incendiary was reserved for aircraft, none officially issued to US Army, thus the rarity amongst cartridge collectors.

On 12/26/2021 at 12:03 PM, Quartermaster said:

Hello all,

To the question as to where did I get all those linked rounds (and the belted rounds, too)?  It takes research, luck and persistence plus getting the militaria collecting bug rather long ago when internet sales were less regulated, before the competition of new collectors grew, and the wealth of goodies offered at local gun/militaria shows that are rarely seen today. 

All the rounds shown (plus more not displayed) are all 30-06 Springfield rounds with headstamps and dates mostly WW2 or earlier.  Some time ago I lucked into owning an early assembled dummy M1919A1 complete with tripod, T&E and a crank cloth belt loader.  As in all my collecting tangents, the first thing I do is get the correct manuals and begin extensive research to learn how something works and what accessories go along with the item.  Then the amassing of what was needed to complete the display!  Back in the day, I frequented gun shows and learned to look under the tables which unearthed large quantities of shot WW2 or earlier brass which I grabbed, tumbled clean then resized and inserted the correct bullet head. Along the way I found a big box of correct metal links, too!  Loading the cloth belts wasn’t much of a task but the metal links proved to be sort of time consuming. 

(As aside – I didn’t include the belted 50 cal dummy round or most of the hand and rifle grenades & signals as I didn’t want to overwhelm the “Christmas tree motif!)

For 917601 – actually as I was looking for display that demonstrating the weapon setup plus the large quantity of ammo (and boxes) that were required.  I turned to my TM 9-1900 to get correct ammo included in each belt - - thus I matched the paint from the color plates and dipped all those bullet tips then ordered them as they were supposed to be supplied from the contractor.  (Sorry – really not collectible but they do catch the eye – as with you!)

I checked my cloth belts that I could get to easily and found one RMC 42 (Russell Manufacturing Co), one Russell 42 (mint unused & still rolled and tied), two Schlegel Mfg Co 1943 & 4/43, and one unmarked belt.   

The irony of it all is that my main focus of collecting WW2 is the Quartermaster Corps as that’s what my dad was in the Pacific but my interests strayed through a love of history and research combined with finding an occasional interesting tid-bit which led to an unintended tangent (engineer – demolitions, Signal Corps, dummy weapons that a Quartermaster wouldn’t usually use.)  I always viewed my living history persona more like Crap Game (Rickles) and not Kelly (Eastwood)!  My motto – never leave behind a period wool blanket or a .30 cal ammo can – you never know when you might need another one!

As I am now retired and thinking that much of my collection needs to move to others that would appreciate these items as much as I do.  Sadly I am beginning to work at divesting much of my militaria.

wow, interesting collecting strategy. I'm planning on going to the lufking gun and militaria show coming up on the 22nd-23rd so I will remember to take a peek under the tables :)