Kevlar helmet with Oregon Aero upgrade and a few other goodies

Nkomo

I took a break today. It was a hard week student teaching in Kindergarten, so my wife and I took a drive to our local surplus store. I was able to pick up a few goodies for my collection. I apparently overlooked a modified DCU shirt/jacket today, but my buddy bought it later on in the day.

I was able to pick up two M-4 ammo pouches. One holds two magazines and the other pouch only holds one magazine. Both of them are dated 98 and are made by Safariland Ltd. Inc.

3rd_AAAAA_170.jpg

3rd_AAAAA_171.jpg

I was also able to pick up an interesting Kevlar helmet with an Oregon Aero BLSS kit upgrade and a PASGT woodland camo cover with a 1st Sgt rank on it. The straps on the helemt are tan and the entire helmet has been heavily used. Anyone have any idea what time period the Oregon Aero upgrade kits started being installed in the PASGT helemts?

3rd_AAAAA_172.jpg

3rd_AAAAA_173.jpg

This is a picture of the shirt I made and wore to Kindergarten on Friday. It was our 100th Day of School Celebration. For Kindergarten, it is a very important day. I made this shirt with the help of my wife and wore it all day long. Now you can see why a day of surplus hunting was necessary. :lol::lol:

3rd_AAAAA_169.jpg

I saw the first kits in mid '05. They didn't last long because the ACH came online about the same time. When I deployed in 06' These kits were being offered to just about anyone. By the time I left Iraq in 07, there were almost no PASGT helmets left in country except contractors. These pads are the same ones used in the ACH, so the kits were absorbed into ACH use. I have an upgrade kit still in the bag. I would take an OA over an MSA liner set any day.

Arch,

That upgrade is pretty cool.I dont know anything about time period of the upgrade and as fast as some of this gear is changing some of the info is probably gonna disappear.

Did they remover the old suspension and place velcro in the crown to suppoet/attach new system??

RON

This is a picture of the shirt I made and wore to Kindergarten on Friday. It was our 100th Day of School Celebration. For Kindergarten, it is a very important day. I made this shirt with the help of my wife and wore it all day long. Now you can see why a day of surplus hunting was necessary. :lol::lol:

Nice Cammo pattern Arch....I think your onto something.

Better be careful,Owen will want your shirt you wore to school!!!!! :lol:

I saw the first kits in mid '05. They didn't last long because the ACH came online about the same time. When I deployed in 06' These kits were being offered to just about anyone. By the time I left Iraq in 07, there were almost no PASGT helmets left in country except contractors. These pads are the same ones used in the ACH, so the kits were absorbed into ACH use. I have an upgrade kit still in the bag. I would take an OA over an MSA liner set any day.

Hawk,

Thanks for the information! I knid of figured it might have been around the 2005 time period but was not 100% sure. thumbsup.gif

Arch

Arch,

That upgrade is pretty cool.I dont know anything about time period of the upgrade and as fast as some of this gear is changing some of the info is probably gonna disappear.

Did they remover the old suspension and place velcro in the crown to suppoet/attach new system??

RON

Ron,

Yes, they replaced the liner and placed velcro in the crown/sides for attachement of the pads. Here is a link to Oregon Aero's website that shows what the kit looks like: http://www.oregonaero.com/p81_2001.html#blss

Also, thanks for the comments on my.....ummmmm.....colorful shirt. It was quite popular with the teachers and kids. I just felt a little silly wearing it.

Arch

Manchu Warrior
Nice Cammo pattern Arch....I think your onto something.

Better be careful,Owen will want your shirt you wore to school!!!!! :lol:

Seriously, isn't that the new Navy Seal camo pattern so they can blend in with the sea life? think.gif

This may have been a self done job, kind of like someone got an ACH pad kit and did it themselves. The velcro from the Oregon Aero kits are round, this is strips put inside.

Arch,

Thanks for the link.Will check it out soon.Now theres another helmet to look for!!!

Silly???Heck thats half the fun wearing the shirt.You should see some of the Hawian shirts I have donned for "certain" occasions.Yes alchohol may have been envolved and some false teeth to boot.Thats all Im sayin. whistling.gif

RON

This may have been a self done job, kind of like someone got an ACH pad kit and did it themselves. The velcro from the Oregon Aero kits are round, this is strips put inside.

Thats what I thought too on the velcro.Seeing the strips is why I was asking about the upgrade.Thanks

RON

If you look at the stock photo that Oregon Aero has up on it's website, the velcro is in strips. The other black round objects in the picture are rubber washers. Whatever the case, this helmet was only $30 and I couldn't pass it up. I figure I could use it in a OIF/OEF display or maybe for my Blackwater display.

Arch

BLSSMilitaryinstalledpartRT.jpg

Anyone have any idea what time period the Oregon Aero upgrade kits started being installed in the PASGT helemts?

I second what Hawkdriver said - 2005 timeframe, maybe late 2004. I remember seeing them in catalogs (or online?) in 2004 and Brian (my better half) bought one and installed it in his K-pot in 2005.

I figure I could use it in a OIF/OEF display or maybe for my Blackwater display.

Arch

If you are wanting to make a Blackwater display, you need to get ahold of me. My ACH was stolen in Iraq and at about the same time, a contractor left his helmet on my aircraft, so I considered it a trade. I use it as my issue helmet. If you can come up with an acceptable ACH, I would trade you. The contractor helmets are actually different from the ACH.