The (mostly) 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines collection.

kaliman0352

I’ve debated on posting my collection for a while. But, I finally decided failure to share it did these Marines no justice. 

I served with 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines in Afghanistan and have basically taken it upon myself to tell the Battalion’s history. You’ve possibly come across my page on Facebook or Instagram. 

(I do have a few 2/25 and 3/25 items as well since I served with those Battalions and collect them as well). 

All the uniforms are named, and I try and tag them with as much information as I can (been difficult with NARA being closed).

Field gear is unnamed / unattributed, but I mock them up based on  specific examples I can find from 3/5 Marines. The P44 Marine for example is from a picture at Wolmi Do. 

Ive also started to travel and conduct interviews with as many 3/5 Vets as I can, although I don’t truly have an endstate for that yet, just conducting as many interviews as possible. 

I appreciate the guys in the community who have helped me out by selling me items, or graciously sending me links to things they’ve come across on facebook or EBay. 

Thanks for looking. 

DF13D315-2B70-4575-86CB-1864F05D830C.jpeg

34B034F9-14D9-4AE9-828C-0ECA5ACE61DE.jpeg

AC76D08A-FD18-472E-902E-754B3BC12340.jpeg

74DF6223-FF53-40ED-A78B-45E87A429C21.jpeg

0FF24621-D594-443C-8E20-519E558E6CC7.jpeg

F790A63B-23DA-49C3-993F-D47A61E7C8CF.jpeg

68621042-BB42-44C6-BF02-41BED7C85FC8.jpeg

Wow, that is a very impressive collection. I like how focused it is, and you have some choice top shelf pieces. Thank you for your service. Kevin

Awesome uniform collection!!   I also served with 3/5 from ‘79-83 and have pretty much done the same as you.  Thank-you for your service and am pleased to know you made it back home 

Frank A.

Semper Fi

Getsome

That is a wonderful collection. I really like that you've been so diligent preserving the history of the individuals, and displaying it on the cards with their uniforms. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I'm a big fan of your work on Instagram too. You're doing some great stuff here! 

All the best,

Patrick

Thank you guys for the kind words. Focusing on 3/5 only has allowed me to keep somewhat of a budget and also be a quasi subject matter expert for one specific slice of history. I’m definitely not smart enough to cover all of the USMC!

These are the stands I use. They’re hollow in the back so they fit the smaller uniforms. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363061412090

4 hours ago, fightn5th said:

Awesome uniform collection!!   I also served with 3/5 from ‘79-83 and have pretty much done the same as you.  Thank-you for your service and am pleased to know you made it back home 

Frank A.

Semper Fi

Getsome

S/F!  Would love to see what you have. 

On 12/24/2021 at 9:28 AM, David D said:

Wonderful display, I follow you on Instagram love reading about the history and Marines of 3/5 

Semper Fi 

Thank you!  It’s time consuming but I believe the Marines appreciate it. 

On 12/24/2021 at 10:34 AM, katieony said:

A really nice collection and display!  Thank you for sharing it!

Mike

Thanks Mike!  Means a lot coming from the guy with a 3/5 patch as his profile picture. 

Fantastic displays, Brother! I was in Helmand for 13 months at IMEF the same time you were in Sangin, happy to see you made it home. 3/5 took the most losses of any Marine unit while I was there, much respect to you and your fellow Darkhorse Marines and Docs. Get Some!

Semper Fi,

Ski

• 3 weeks later...
kaliman0352
On 12/26/2021 at 12:03 PM, Airwolf said:

Outstanding display.  Semper Fi 

On 12/27/2021 at 4:41 PM, Justin said:

Really nice stuff 

Hey guys thank you for the kind words. Very grateful to have come across these items and preserve them. 

kaliman0352
On 12/26/2021 at 9:20 PM, usmcski said:

Fantastic displays, Brother! I was in Helmand for 13 months at IMEF the same time you were in Sangin, happy to see you made it home. 3/5 took the most losses of any Marine unit while I was there, much respect to you and your fellow Darkhorse Marines and Docs. Get Some!

Semper Fi,

Ski

SF Man. Yea, definitely a wild time and seemed like the frontier a bit. 

• 2 weeks later...

Kaliman, what a wonderful tribute to the 3/5. I especially like what you said about keeping the memory alive and doing interviews. I’m going to PM you to talk further. Again, fantastic tribute, Sir.