Trying to return a WWI "Columbia Accolade" certificate to the family of a soldier who was wounded in action

gearhead1968

I have a few of these in my collection, but I have been keeping my eye out for soldiers from the 35th Infantry Division, because they are usually Missouri Vets and I can easily match up records with the state archives since theirs are all on-line. Anyway, I found one issued to Kemper S Moore, wounded in action serving with the 140th Infantry regiment of the 35th Division. His Missouri Records confirm that information and show a residence in Bunceton, MO. In further tracing, I was able to find is grave site (Kansas City/Jackson County 1899-1974) along with family. His son Jerry Carlos Moore, who served in WWI passed away in 1996 in Lawrence/Douglas County Kansas. from there I see that he had 4 children, but that is where I am stuck. Ancestry doesn't reveal the names, but I did see a Porter Moore (New York) that seems to be the person updating the family tree. I sent him a message but have not heard anything back yet.

I am wanting to return this to the family, so any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank You!

Kemper moore.webp

Hi, 

That is a noble gesture on your part. You may have some luck in searching for a newspaper obituary, since those typically list immediate survivors. 

RC

• 2 months later...

Just taking a look and here is what I'm finding that may help:

Here is Kemper Moore's obit -

image.png

image.png

So, he only had the one son.

Can't find an obit for the son, who died in 1996 (tough time to find things online). However, looking through his past addresses, there is one that lists this person as a relative, so you could try writing to this Mr. Moore:

https://www.whitepages.com/name/Jerry-Junior-Moore/Salisbury-NC/PD9oEaQmJE3