New Find -- M1841 Field Gun Model

bertmedals

Thought this might be of interest to the toy and model collectors on the Forum. 

I have a small collection of military toys and models consisting of a few WW1 tanks, some WW1 toy soldiers and several different cannons/howitzers.  About a week ago I saw a model of a Civil War cannon on Craigslist that looked pretty good and appeared to be pretty large.  I linked up with the owner (a picker and antiques and collectibles dealer) on Friday and came away with a large, all metal cannon model.

I believe it is a model of the Model 1841 6 Pounder field gun.  The Model 1841 was a mainstay of the US Army in the Mexican-American War and was prominent in the early part of the Civil War before being overshadowed by newer cannon models.  The Model 1841 proved to be the most successful of the early bronze cannons developed in the US in the 1830s and marked the switch from iron to bronze cannons for the US Army.

On closer examination, I found the name “Moyer” on the side of the cannon’s carriage.  After little research, I determined that this cannon was made at the Moyer Foundry in Tiffin, Ohio which is about 85 miles from my house.  Moyer cast all sorts of cannon from small models like mine to full-size firing replicas.  The Moyer Foundry was purchased by Bob Gilmor (a Moyer employee and Civil War reenactor) in the late 1990’s, moved to Old Fort, Ohio a few miles north of Tiffin, and renamed “Gilmor Ordnance”. Gilmor Ordnance (http://cannonmaster.com/) still makes cannons from models to full-size firing replicas.  Along the way, Bob Gilmor has become a technical advisor for movies and TV shows.

This model is large – I put a foot-long ruler in one of the pics to show how big it is.  It is also heavy, weighing in at 5 pounds. 

Anyway, I got a nice addition to my collection, learned about a local reenactor, found a nearby cannon replica manufacturer I didn’t know existed, and got acquainted with another picker who is now looking for more military stuff.  All-in-all, it was a good day.

Pictures follow.

Dennis

20211219_100705_Burst01 (2).jpg

20211219_100735 (2).jpg

20211219_101145 (2).jpg

20211219_100946 (2).jpg

20211219_100932 (2).jpg