1961 Imperial MIL-K General Purpose knife

The Rooster

Nice first year Imperial Stainless, any idea what year they stopped stamping the crown above Imperial.

I have seen it on those made to around 1968 but not on the 1974 and after knives. 

"Any idea what year they stopped stamping the crown above Imperial."

I dont know. Im new to these knives.

Funny thing about this one is that other than some old grease, the thing is like brand new.

It hard to get the tools out. Its really tight. Surprised me cause its 60 years old.

On 12/26/2021 at 7:35 AM, The Rooster said:

"Any idea what year they stopped stamping the crown above Imperial."

I dont know. Im new to these knives.

Funny thing about this one is that other than some old grease, the thing is like brand new.

It hard to get the tools out. Its really tight. Surprised me cause its 60 years old.

I don't know about the crown stamp either.  Rooster, the 61 Imperial I have is just like your's, bright and shiny, and a real finger nail breaker.  Someone must of opened up a new old batch just for us.😀

lol. I know what you mean ! I have to muscle out everything and then the awl is last. Its tight !

• 1 month later...
On 12/20/2021 at 7:51 PM, Collector2 said:

Nice first year Imperial Stainless, any idea what year they stopped stamping the crown above Imperial.

I have seen it on those made to around 1968 but not on the 1974 and after knives. 

My 1976 has the crown

20211019_101051.jpg

A couple of Imperial 1974 blades that do not appear to have any sign of the crown on them. both knives look in pretty good nick with untouched blades.

1974b.jpg

Im1974.jpg

After seeing these two photo's I posted earlier in large size on the screen and looking at IMPERIAL, I quickly realized that IMPERIAL is all upper case.

The earlier Imperials above and my 1966 all have capital I only in Imperial.

This probably is the reason that these two and others similar do not have the crown stamped above Imperial.

Are there Chinese copies of these US stamped IMPERIAL Knives; or anything else we should know about them.

I was all but ready to press the button and add one of these two 1974 IMPERIALS to my small collection but think I will pass for now.

It's possible that some Imperial marked knives could have been made in different factories, including some that were outside the U.S.  

On 12/26/2021 at 11:13 AM, e19 said:

FC061861-617A-4A05-B8EA-00D0619FB6B0.jpeg

Is there an "official"  USGI knife carry case for these knives or is it just a "find something that fits" type of thing?

The knife collecting community, over the years, have compiled various tang or ricasso stamp timelines often prefixed with "circa". which in other words means round-about. The Imperial with crown which appears to dot the "i" was used from 1946-1988. Why some of these MILK knives are void of the crown, who knows, but I believe in most all commercial manufactured folding knives by Imperial in the Post WWII era will have the crown. 

1 hour ago, 2AD_Vet said:

Is there an "official"  USGI knife carry case for these knives or is it just a "find something that fits" type of thing?

Mine was made by my unit’s parachute riggers.

8 minutes ago, e19 said:

Mine was made by my unit’s parachute riggers.

Someone was selling a knife with a similar sheath a couple weeks ago on ebay.

Pretty cool !

These sheaths are very common in the Ft Bragg area. Seems as though everyone has an MIL-K, JPK, or a MK2 knife. The sheaths are either rigger made or commercial. I have two, one rigger, and a camouflaged commercial with pen holder, and velcro cover. The MIL-Ks are an Imperial dated 1966 w/ pin on the screw driver, the other is a Camillus dated 1977, which I found out in the woods of Camp Mackall in 1977.  Note the handle is more shallow, and less pronounced than the earlier Imperial.

20220205_141008.jpg

20220205_141112.jpg