WW2 Typewriter opinions

jgawne

OK, like I need another boxed item, but this one on ebay is named to my dad's regiment, and to a company that I knew the company commander.

So my initial reaction is to go insane, but it somehow does not feel right. The wear on the case does not seem to match the wear of the typewrioter, or of the the bumped edges. It just looks "too good to be true"

http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-8th-Infantry-Roya...%3A2%7C294%3A50

any thoughts or opinions?

It's a re-enactor piece. I saw that too and within moments thought, "yeah, someone marked this up because it'd look cool at FIG or an event like that."

The markings just don't live with what I've seen in original photos and surviving equipment. I wouldn't bid on that for 50 cents...

OK, like I need another boxed item, but this one on ebay is named to my dad's regiment, and to a company that I knew the company commander.

So my initial reaction is to go insane, but it somehow does not feel right. The wear on the case does not seem to match the wear of the typewrioter, or of the the bumped edges. It just looks "too good to be true"

http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-8th-Infantry-Roya...%3A2%7C294%3A50

any thoughts or opinions?

It also bugged me that it wsays "reg" not "regt" but then you wonder why someone wouold use an odd abbreviation if ther were redoing something. And of course why do a relatively obscure unit- which the guy claims came in a field desk he bought at an antique place.

Its always going to bug me I guess.

I know your connection to the 8th Div and how I'd feel if it was something I really was focused on, but if I were a betting man, I'd put a lot of coin on a civilian typewriter marked up (and badly, too) by a re-enactor. Notice the insignia at the corner, where the heck would someone find something like that in the ETO? Come on Jon, you know they didn't have stuff like that, certainly not to put on a darned typewriter cover!

Yeah, I know. I put a small bid on it anyway as I don't have one with the case. But didn't get it.

It just makes me wonder who the heck painted that, but now I think I recall someone mentioning a small 8th ID reenactment group in Georgia years ago- where it came from.

WOW, this thing went for over a hundred bucks! :blink: The winner got hosed on this, I think. thumbdown.gif It's SO hard to convince me there's a recession on when you see what's happening on eBay!