How long was MOLLE "I" in use before it was superseded by MOLLE II?

militaria360

While torturing my fingers putting pouches on my FLC vest, I noticed one of my M16A2 double magazine pouches is MOLLE "I", and now that's got me interested to learn about MOLLE "I".

How long was MOLLE "I" in use before it was superseded by MOLLE II?

On my pouch the normally tan part in the woodland camouflage is light green, is that how all MOLLE "I" is?

phto21-0737-GSF-900Q85.jpg

I have a complete (ex USMC) Molle 1 pack system NOS in the bag. Also some pouches, etc. which are M-1. My understanding (so far as the USMC figured into the equation), is it was a failure in the field and unable to stand up under load/field conditions from initial use in Afghanistan. The metal supports were part of the problem. When I would see surplussed out Molle-1 gear, it was usually well worn, torn, ripped, etc. (not to de-milling, either) or like new when it was being scrapped. My guess it was only a few years at best...

2 hours ago, pwcosol said:

I have a complete (ex USMC) Molle 1 pack system NOS in the bag. Also some pouches, etc. which are M-1. My understanding (so far as the USMC figured into the equation), is it was a failure in the field and unable to stand up under load/field conditions from initial use in Afghanistan. The metal supports were part of the problem. When I would see surplussed out Molle-1 gear, it was usually well worn, torn, ripped, etc. (not to de-milling, either) or like new when it was being scrapped. My guess it was only a few years at best...

Found the following on the FreerangeAmerican.US website:

MOLLE platform was patented by the US Army in 1996 and introduced to branches of the armed forces in 1997, it was not widely accepted due to some early problems. Among other complaints, the Army found that the initial design utilized a plastic framework that was prone to breakage. Even more concerning was the ball-and-socket interface between the frame and rucksack belt, which formed the waist belt of the MOLLE vest. This mechanism caused numerous lower back injuries when the ball missed the socket interface on the belt and impacted the user’s body. These issues were eventually addressed [enter Molle-2?], and MOLLE became the standard-issue equipment for post-9/11 troops fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I believe the color variations in the original post are coincidental, I have several of these pouches as well as a MOLLE 1 FLC and the woodland pattern is the same as on my MOLLE 2 FLC and pouches.  This style M16 magazine pouch seems to me to be the most common component marked MOLLE 1 that I come across and I believe remained in the system the longest due to there being nothing wrong with it unlike the FLC with separate belt set up mentioned in post #3.

I remember the MOLLE 1 had that god awful waist belt that attached to the FLC and also had that bracket in the rear for attaching to the field pack if I recall correct.  I think all the early MOLLE stuff was like 97 and 98 contracts and then MOLLE 2 came along around 2001-2002 I believe.   I cant be quoted on that though, its been a while since Ive seen the earlier stuff.

Never mind the MOLLE II pouch mixed with the MOLLE I pouches on the Woodland FLC I'll fix that when I get another MOLLE I M4 pouch. I think they went with the Woodland pattern till about the late 2000's. Of course my hand was forced with this setup with the lack of MOLLE II woodland 3 mag shingles. BTW this does have the two belts which allows you to wear the vest over body armor. The MOLLE I FLC's lacked the zipper on the front it was just nothing but belts and buckles on the front.

IMG_1299.JPG

IMG_1300.JPG

Thought I would post some Molle 1 & 2 equipment. Both packs are equipped with the frame, suspensions, waist belts and accessory/patrol packs. Regarding the M16 mag pouches following, in photo #5 (top to bottom & L to R), LS is Molle 1/single mag. To the right is Molle 2/double mag. Main differences are M1 pouch smaller & lighter material than M2. Photo #8 LS is Molle 1/single mag pouch (M4) with VELCRO strap & pad (no snap). On RS (and subsequent photo) is a unattributed Molle ? dual mag pouch w/small accessory pouch and grenade securing loop. I guess it is a Molle 2 (improved)...

Molle1 Pack Sys1.JPG

Molle1 Pack Sys2.JPG

Molle2 Pack Sys1.JPG

Molle2 Pack Sys2.JPG

Molle 1 2 MP 1.JPG

Molle 1 MP.JPG

Molle 2 MP.JPG

Molle 1 SMP and Unatt DMP.JPG

Molle 1 SMP Rev.JPG

Molle DMP Unatt.JPG

The M4 CQB velcro closure pouch is not Molle. 

It is an aftermarket Close Quater Battle pouch.

The pictured one is an aftermarket pouch as it marked style 4050.

The unmarked three mag pouch with added grenade pouch goes to separate Molle medic vest system that came with two of those pouches which were mirrored one had grenade pouch on left side other the right. 

4 hours ago, Allen Dail said:

The M4 CQB velcro closure pouch is not Molle. 

It is an aftermarket Close Quater Battle pouch.

The pictured one is an aftermarket pouch as it marked style 4050.

The unmarked three mag pouch with added grenade pouch goes to separate Molle medic vest system that came with two of those pouches which were mirrored one had grenade pouch on left side other the right. 

IDK id Id say its aftermarket. Yes it was a SDS designed product, but is a contract pouch.  But is it part of the original MOLLE 1 or 2 sets, no but it has since become the standard mag pouch for MOLLE 2 in both UCP and OCP.  The rifleman sets started coming with them both with the FLC and the TAP later.

Thanks guys for adding to the conversation. When I see equipment with the long straps on the back, I think Molle, but as was said, there is Molle 1, Molle 2 and Molle-adaptible equipment made by private contractors either under contract or purchased from a commercial enterprise via "P-card". Allowing individuals and small units to directly acquire useful material from such sources has proven very helpful.  Expediting delivery of such equipment into the hands of those in the field whom need it most to take it to the enemy is a good thing (for our side, anyway). Never saw that Molle medical pouch rig...interesting.