Moth Hole Repair with "Bo Nash"

dhcoleterracina

dhcoleterracina

I recently used this product with another repair and noticed that it can be used to repair moth hole damage. This is the product and it can be bought on ebay for less than $15 including shipping. 

IMG_1693.JPG

IMG_1692 (1).JPG

dhcoleterracina

You shave a little material from inside the coat and sprinkle the white powder into the "fuzz". Then with tweezers put some of that mix into the hole. Iron the area using the brown sheet between the iron and repair. After 20 seconds you're done. 

IMG_1699.JPG

IMG_1698.JPG

• 2 months later...
carrabassett

Thanks for this tip! I ordered some but haven’t tried it yet. When I do, I’ll try and post some pics. Cheers!

ludwigh1980

As some-one who restores and repairs old garments I would avoid using this product. The key with any historical artifact and any subsequent repair or restoration: 1) is the action easily reversable, 2) what is the long term impact of newly introduced material to the artifact. Are they truly inert or will the product weaken or change the molecular makeup of the artifact over time. While I can see the use of this product for an article of clothing that one wished to wear, as a collector of uniforms I would not be too excited if I was contemplating a prospective purchase of a garment that had been repaired using a product like this. Just an opinion however after 30 plus years of uniform collecting, I have seen the litany of quick fixes exhibited. In most cases I would have preferred the artifact in its original state, IE with the moth damage. 

dhcoleterracina

There are several ways to repair moth holes in a garment. Pragmatically it makes no sense to spend $200 repairing moth holes on a jacket worth $100. Or more simply, paying more for the repair than the value of the garment. I suppose if the garment is a significant historical artifact then you should spring for the needle work required to make it less visible. The vast majority of the items that we possess are not in that category. The Ike jacket that I use at the start is nice and collectible but I found my eye drawn to the two moth holes close to the insignia. If the holes were on the back then I wouldn't bother. I also see nothing wrong with doing nothing and leaving things as they are. We are just filling two small moth holes using fibers from the jacket and this powder which acts as a glue when ironed. 

Your comment that this product might change the molecular makeup of the artifact seems a far stretch UNLESS you have some knowledge of this product or one like it? 

But you are approaching this from only one point in time as only one owner with one goal with only a current assumed value.

Preserving history may involve more variables. Or maybe not.

Dave