USS Astoria USS Reno Bronze Star with V grouping

FriarChuck

These medals belonged to my wife’s Great Uncle, Capt Noel Burkey Jr. He was a career Naval Officer who survived the sinking of his first ship, the USS Astoria and the torpedoing of the USS Reno. He finished his career as the captain of the USS Kenneth D Bailey. He earned his bronze star with V when the Reno tried to save the USS Princeton. 

BFD56CFB-1539-40D7-A0AB-A83F82AC5F20.jpeg

668BC626-C9A4-42CA-B7DD-43E2C842200D.jpeg

BC921659-7FAA-4EE6-95E9-2275DB9B9AE9.jpeg

2F2637D9-C75B-4149-934F-7BDEF88A533F.jpeg

5D20DE23-AF5B-456F-B95B-FB30CBF7173C.jpeg

043E1709-414D-463A-B5DE-F1BEDD27087A.jpeg

A5E62A39-A13A-43C0-B8A0-CE5CC2DD236A.jpeg

Thanks guys, I’m just grateful to have it in the family. My In-laws have a ton of paperwork that goes with this group. A lot of it relates to Burkey family history which Noel used to become a member of the Son’s of the American Revolution.

Here is his SAR World War II Service Medal. Wish they had his membership medal. All of his military items (including his sword) along with his stamp, coin, and record  were supposed to go to my wife’s Grandpa (Noel’s little brother) but his wife had the will changed right before he died and disposed of as she saw fit (sold or donated as they had no children).

I’m just grateful for what we have. 

E962C66F-6BE8-4C54-A760-7ED0B1546E7C.jpeg

E5661516-6F94-45FE-806A-8208BCA89C70.jpeg

Here is a picture (hopefully somewhat legible) of his Bronze Star Citation. Found it neat that it was signed by John McCain’s father. B2EB0168-4A50-4FE1-8C0F-6BF5FA3E6CA1.jpeg.b00fb2a527c7d709c314ef4ce5b04129.jpeg

This sterling silver (napkin?) ring has a list of all the ships he served aboard. Uncle Noel was involved in some pretty important events during WWII. He was the Officer of the Deck of the Astoria when she began to take fire during the battle of Savo Island. He was also  assigned to the staff of the Commander of Transports aboard the Coast Guard manned transport Hunter Liggett during Guadalcanal and was aboard when the Liggett deliver Douglas Munro to his date with history. His other assignments included the carrier Leyte, the second USS Johnston, and his command, the Kenneth D Bailey

CBCC1FF9-0665-441C-9FA9-5412D3EF884F.jpeg

5CA66160-24EE-4539-9E60-B02BDD15C6ED.jpeg

That is indeed a napkin ring! I have some similar.  Great grouping overall.  I really like Navy bar mounted groups like this.

Kurt

Thanks everyone for the comments! Here is a picture of Noel as a midshipman and one of him in Grays probably towards the end of the war. 

9B12D8FF-6702-40EA-9A27-2FF4643C2286.jpeg

02E700A8-F968-440C-A7E2-C765ECB96924.jpeg

Thanks for the kind words! 

This was included in Uncle Noel’s stuff and I was hoping someone on the forum like Dave might have a clue as to why he had a soviet Naval Button and Belt framed. I’m guessing it’s from his time in command of the Bailey but it could be any of his postwar service. Thanks.

C353A78F-2CA9-4818-A1DD-6A5B766C6846.jpeg

1A459F4F-E9F0-47A6-BED4-7DCE6A54F8C4.jpeg

This is a really awesome group!

As far as the Soviet buckle and button... no idea. The Reno didn't have any involvement with the Soviets that I can tell. When he was in command of the Bailey, he might have had some interaction. From their Wikipedia page, his command tour consisted of:

"Again, from 3 September 1951 to 4 February 1952, she ranged the Mediterranean from Spain to Turkey to maintain the freedom of the nations which rim that ancient sea.

"When not deployed with the 6th Fleet, Kenneth D. Bailey joined operations that carried her from the Caribbean and the reaches of the Arctic Ocean to the shores of Northern and Western Europe. Undertaking a variety of duties, she trained naval reservists, served as plane guard and screen during carrier operations, and participated in cold weather exercises north of the Arctic Circle. On 2 December 1952 she entered the Boston Naval Shipyard for modernization and conversion to a radar picket destroyer and decommissioned on the 22nd."

So maybe from that time period? Why he framed them? No idea...that's why I've taken to putting notes on the back of things I frame. At some point, the memory will be gone and it will cause people to wonder why the item is/was special. 

Thank you for sharing the group! 

Dave

Salvage Sailor
3 hours ago, FriarChuck said:

Thanks for the kind words! 

This was included in Uncle Noel’s stuff and I was hoping someone on the forum like Dave might have a clue as to why he had a soviet Naval Button and Belt framed. I’m guessing it’s from his time in command of the Bailey but it could be any of his postwar service. Thanks.

C353A78F-2CA9-4818-A1DD-6A5B766C6846.jpeg

1A459F4F-E9F0-47A6-BED4-7DCE6A54F8C4.jpeg

Do you know where he was assigned in mid to late 1945?  If he was on a shore assignment between ships or in Alaska, he may have been associated with 'Operation Hula' which was a US program to transfer ships from the US Navy to Vitse Admiral Ivan S. Yumashev’s Soviet Pacific Fleet at bases along the eastern seaboard of Siberia (10 April/9 September 1945).

On 12/22/2021 at 8:52 AM, Dave said:

This is a really awesome group!

As far as the Soviet buckle and button... no idea. The Reno didn't have any involvement with the Soviets that I can tell. When he was in command of the Bailey, he might have had some interaction. From their Wikipedia page, his command tour consisted of:

"Again, from 3 September 1951 to 4 February 1952, she ranged the Mediterranean from Spain to Turkey to maintain the freedom of the nations which rim that ancient sea.

"When not deployed with the 6th Fleet, Kenneth D. Bailey joined operations that carried her from the Caribbean and the reaches of the Arctic Ocean to the shores of Northern and Western Europe. Undertaking a variety of duties, she trained naval reservists, served as plane guard and screen during carrier operations, and participated in cold weather exercises north of the Arctic Circle. On 2 December 1952 she entered the Boston Naval Shipyard for modernization and conversion to a radar picket destroyer and decommissioned on the 22nd."

So maybe from that time period? Why he framed them? No idea...that's why I've taken to putting notes on the back of things I frame. At some point, the memory will be gone and it will cause people to wonder why the item is/was special. 

Thank you for sharing the group! 

Dave

Dave,  

Thanks so much for looking and responding. I figured it was a long shot. My guess was also that it came from something that occurred while he was the XO of the Johnston or the CO of the Bailey as well. 

I love your idea of putting notes on the back of things. I don’t have many framed things currently but as I get older I think that’s a great idea. Probably do it for a lot of my service mementos. Means a lot more when your family knows what it is and why it was special.  There are so many questions I wish I could ask my veteran family members that passed when I was small. Thanks again for posting. Greatly appreciate your insight.

Friar

On 12/22/2021 at 11:45 AM, Salvage Sailor said:

Do you know where he was assigned in mid to late 1945?  If he was on a shore assignment between ships or in Alaska, he may have been associated with 'Operation Hula' which was a US program to transfer ships from the US Navy to Vitse Admiral Ivan S. Yumashev’s Soviet Pacific Fleet at bases along the eastern seaboard of Siberia (10 April/9 September 1945).

Salvage Sailor,

Thanks for your input. I believe he was on the Reno until March of 1945 when she was laid up in Charleston SC for repairs from her torpedoing. He got married in Charleston soon after. He was then transferred to the USS Leyte and brought her into commission as the communications officer. The Leyte. Was launched in August of 45 and commissioned in April of 46. I’m not sure when he would have joined her crew but I don’t think he participated in Operation Hula. Appreciate the input though. Your naval expertise is always very helpful. 

Friar

• 4 months later...
manayunkman

That BSM document is fantastic.

I got a nice Navy bar recently so I like to see them especially when they have layers of provenance.