Controversy: DoD moving toward retiring the 29th Infantry Division SSI

everforward

Administrator Note:  This was originally posted based upon information posted on a 29th ID Association website.

Afterwards the Facebook Page of the 29th Infantry Division stated:  

"Update from Maj. Gen. Timothy P. Williams, the Adjutant General of Virginia:

There has been no decision or formal recommendation to discontinue the 29th Infantry Division patch by the Naming Commission. We are currently preparing historical documentation and letters of support to educate the Commission about the importance of 29th ID patch. We want them to understand what it means to the thousands of veterans who have worn the patch in service to our country, as well as how it serves as a symbol of liberation to our Allies in France."

Readers are advised to read all of the posts from beginning to end before forming an opinion and offering a comment.

Any comments that are overtly political will be removed.  

Some of you know that I am involved with a charitable foundation and museum that supports the history and legacy of the 116th Infantry Regiment, along with the 29th Infantry Division……we received news on 13 December (yesterday) that apparently decisions have been made by the Department of Defense to retire the SSI of the 29th Infantry Division, on recommendations made by the Naming Commission of the DoD. These are words also posted elsewhere by our foundation’s Executive Director on the current state of things as we see them.

This is big news folks, and it will probably only get bigger….and affect other units. Please take the time and read it.

—DOD to cancel Iconic D-Day Division patch—

“…..The Department of Defense’s Naming Commission, formally the Commission on the Naming of Items of the Department of Defense that Commemorate the Confederate States of America or Any Person Who Served Voluntarily with the Confederate States of America, has decided to cancel the 29th Division’s historic and iconic “Blue and Gray” shoulder sleeve insignia.

This is not a rumor. The Adjutant General of Virginia officially notified the National Commander of the 29th Division Association, also a 116th Infantry Regiment Foundation, Inc. board member, in person on Monday, 13 December 2021. The removal of the 29th Division patch from Army use would most likely occur while both the 29th Division and 116th Infantry Brigade Headquarters are deployed overseas and the Department of Defense could take this action as early 31 January 2022.

It seems the Gray half of this patch somehow only serves to glorify the former Confederate States of America in the eyes of the commission. First designed and registered with the Army in 1917 during World War One, the colors and shape of the patch captured the make-up and mission of the citizen soldiers and former National Guard units of New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland and Virginia. They were all working in harmony towards a unified goal of making the world safe for Democracy. Don’t take our word for it; begin reading the World War One 29th Division History book from page 16 onward (easily found on Google Books). It’s clearly articulated on those pages with the voices of the people who were there. Sounds pretty noble and, one would think, an admirable cause to be represented forever in an American uniform patch. 

So, we have some questions. Is the Government now saying the battle deaths and casualties of those WWI soldiers were made under the guise of glorifying Confederate causes? The WWI New Jersey troops are now complicit apparently yet they fought as Union formations during the Civil War! Is a currently serving soldier promoting Confederate glory by wearing the patch that took Bloody Omaha Beach on D-Day, and went on to help liberate France and Europe from Nazi atrocities? Do our most recent Global War on Terror battlefield and suicide losses represent Confederate deaths since those soldiers wore a half-gray Division shoulder sleeve patch?

And who will notify France, with it’s hundreds of memorial stones, plaques and cemeteries from two World Wars bearing the ‘Blue and Gray’ emblem that America no longer recognizes that iconic symbol of D-Day and world freedom? When should France begin grinding down all of those hallowed fixtures so Confederate causes are not glorified overseas? Are you going to be the one who tells those very few remaining World War Two 29th Division Veterans that their legacy was tainted because half of their division patch was a gray color representing American citizen-soldiers from the South?

Where will it all end, you may ask. We think Regiment Crests, Battle Streamers and Campaign Credits affecting most Southern National Guard units are next on the list to be trashed. We ask that you will be one who chooses to stand with us against these Orwellian lunacies. Call or write your congressional representatives today to tell them how you feel about the unjustified and wasteful sanitizing of this incredibly unique American and World legacy…..”

I wonder how the thousands of dead soldiers that wore this patch, buried not far from where they fell, would feel about all of this.

A5762731-E4EA-44C3-8BBD-D8318179FF5B.jpeg

https://va.ng.mil/News/Article/2812204/historic-documents-help-reveal-back-story-of-29th-id-patch-creator/fbclid/IwAR2JP4jKX8IE8fVh3gjj6SXZkFkSxdgasKWhrwyC7wDJkbP8O_HrKV7MYxs/

RICHMOND, Va.   –  

Thanks to recently uncovered documents in the Virginia National Guard’s historical collection, more is being learned about the Fort Belvoir-based 29th Infantry Division’s iconic blue and gray unit patch, as well as about the Soldier who designed it. 

Maj. Gen. James Ulio enlisted in the Army as a private in 1900 before earning a commission a few years later. By the start of World War I he was assigned to the 29th Division, which at the time was comprised of Soldiers from Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Washington D.C., and New Jersey. According to retired Chief Warrant Officer 4 Al Barnes, the Virginia National Guard command historian, Ulio recognized that having units from both sides of the Mason-Dixon Line made the 29th different from other Army divisions. 

“Recognizing the unique composition of the 29th, bringing together units from North and South, Ulio designed a patch which would highlight the reconciliation and reunification of the country,” said Barnes. “He used the Korean “symbol of life” with colors of blue and gray to symbolize the 29th.” .......

Ulio proved to not only be a successful Adjutant General during World War II, but also led the way for racial integration in the Army. 

“He worked to integrate African American soldiers into the mainstream of Army life by challenging racial segregation and commonly held beliefs on race,” said Barnes. “In 1944 he spurred on the integration process by ordering the end of racial segregation on military transportation and in recreational facilities on all Army posts.”

Ulio’s responsibilities as Adjutant General were wide and varied, making him a key figure in the war fighting efforts. 

“In many ways, he became the face of the Army with his responsibilities for the Public Relations Bureau. Through speeches over radio, newspaper interviews, and public appearances he served as troop morale booster, advocate, and cheerleader for the war effort.”

Morale was especially important to Ulio, who is quoted as saying, “I will tell you what morale is. It is when a Trooper thinks his Regiment is the best in the world, his Troop is the best in the Regiment, his Squad is the best in the Troop, and that he himself is the best Trooper in the outfit."

Finally, Ulio led demobilization planning to bring home millions of soldiers after the war, and marked an end to an exemplary career that spanned more than 40 years and two World Wars, leaving a mark on the Army as a whole, but especially on the storied 29th Division, whose sleeves bear Ulio’s iconic design to this day. 

“Soldiers of the 29th Infantry Division can take great pride that their “Blue and Gray” patch, originating in WWI and worn proudly by 29ers on Omaha Beach, in the hedgerows of Normandy, and the battle spaces of Southwest Asia, was designed by a dedicated soldier who not only rose from the rank of private to major general, he worked for integration of the U.S. military four years before the President made it law,” said Barnes. 

Ulio was born in Washington State, the son of an Irish immigrant who preceded his son in Army service. Remarkably, Barnes said the between the father and son, an Ulio was in service in the Army for 90 consecutive years, from 1856 to 1946, a period encompassing 20 United States presidents, from Franklin Pierce to Harry Truman. 

Basic Rifleman

The 29th Division Patch literally symbolizes "strength in unity"

My Great, great, great Grandfather served start-to-finish in the Civil War with the 1st Maryland Infantry Regiment (Union), as did most men of age from our small agricultural community on Maryland's Eastern Shore. These were some of the men from which the Blue and Grey 29th Division was born. The men from Maryland's 1st Infantry were in most cases very proud, very poor, and very hard working. Most returned from the long war to work on farms, in boat yards, and on the water harvesting oysters, crabs, and fish. Some did all three... just to "get by" and feed their families. They were a volunteer Army and fought for what they believed in for four straight years. Men in my bloodline made sacrifices and endured hardships through their war service that makes me both sympathetic and proud whenever I think of it. My first four years in the Marine Corps in the early 2000's seemed like an eternity to a young man in his late teens and early 20's at the time. In retrospect, and compared to the Civil War era, those years weren't so bad...  These men spent four straight years traversing the East Coast in heat, humidity, rain, snow, and freezing cold on their way to the next staging point - never knowing when their next battle might take place, or when the war might end. These were hard men. It should also be noted these Union Soldiers from Maryland fought against relatives, and neighbors in the war who chose to serve with the Confederacy. After the war, they all eventually made peace with what they had seen, what they had done, and with each other... How do I know this? Because I played little league with the Great, great, great grandkids of both Union and Civil war Veterans. We all got along... as did our parents, and their parents... These men in the 1860's made decisions based on a belief system and outside influences that someone in 2020 could not possibly comprehend. I don't judge these men for what they did, nor should an ad hoc group of civilians and prior military members seemingly trying to justify their positions. 

Fast forward two generations, and my Great Grandfather was one of the first to wear the Blue and Grey patch fighting with Maryland's 115th Infantry on the Mexican Border, and then in France. He was wounded in both theaters, and came home after WWI to serve with the same unit until the 1930's. I never got a chance to speak with him about his war service, but I know it took its toll on him both physically and mentally. That said, I know from some of his writings he felt the absolute deepest sense of service to the 115th and to his men. These men fought together overseas, and then came home and lived in the same communities; a foreign concept to most who have fought for our country. I would argue this created a deeper sense of pride, patriotism, and unit loyalty that could not be found with Regular Army units that brought men from across the country to fight together. The Maryland men of the 115th (and all other units that make up the 29th Division) fought shoulder to shoulder with their next-door neighbors; their relatives, and their best friends. These were the first men to wear the patch that honored their Grandfather's war service; no matter which side of history they were born from. 

In a very meaningful way, this patch is a symbol of my families personal sacrifice to this country, at home and abroad. The 29th Division's lineage is a part of who I am too. The same men who formed it instilled the same values they learned in my Grandfather, Father, and in me as well.   Where I come from, family and community are important. In some cases, it's all we have. When I look at my Great Grandfathers WWI "Roll of Honor" I recognize almost each last name on the list. Two generations later, these were still the same last names of kids I went to school with. Many of their grandfathers were with the 115th / 29th on D-Day. 

I'm confused by this decision. I'm confused why a group largely comprised of Service Members would want to erase this important part of our Nations Military history. I get renaming some Installations, and moving around some statues, but...

The 29th Division Patch literally symbolizes "strength in unity". Shouldn't that be the base of what this commission is "fighting for" to begin with? If anything, this should be exactly what we want future generations to emulate and learn from.

These are the members of the "Naming Commission"

Adm. Michelle Howard, U.S. Navy, Retired, Chair

Brig. Gen. Ty Seidule, U.S. Army, Retired, Vice-Chair

Lt. Gen. Thomas Bostick, U.S. Army, Retired

Mr. Jerry Buchannan

Gen. Robert Neller, U.S. Marine Corps, Retired

Mr. Lawrence Romo

Dr. Kori Schake

U.S. Rep. Austin Scott (Georgia)

Their Mission Statement:

"Congressional Commission providing naming, renaming, and removal recommendations to Congress for all Department of Defense items that commemorate the Confederate States of America or any person who served voluntarily with the Confederate States of America."

In closing, this group aims to remove items that 'Commemorate the Confederacy'. Commemorating the Confederacy is literally the oposite of what this symbols creators had in mind. I think there's a very strong argument here that the 29th patch commemorates "Strength In Unity". Nothing more, nothing less.  Getting rid of this symbol of Unity would be a travesty to those who've died for this country (Not the Confederate States) in the line of Service. 

Please reach out and share your thoughts to the folks listed above. I will be making time to send each of them a letter or email this week. I implore each of you to do some variation of the same. You never know what might happen if we band together and share this with others...

Semper Fi,

Thomas Lantz

USMC 2000-2009

This was posted recently on the official Facebook page of the 29th ID:

Update from Maj. Gen. Timothy P. Williams, the Adjutant General of Virginia:

“There has been no decision or formal recommendation to discontinue the 29th Infantry Division patch by the Naming Commission. We are currently preparing historical documentation and letters of support to educate the Commission about the importance of 29th ID patch. We want them to understand what it means to the thousands of veterans who have worn the patch in service to our country, as well as how it serves as a symbol of liberation to our Allies in France.

The Naming Commission is reviewing the 29th Infantry Division patch as part of their charter to provide “naming, renaming, and removal recommendations to Congress for all Department of Defense items that commemorate the Confederate States of America or any person who served voluntarily with the Confederate States of America.”

According to their web site https://www.thenamingcommission.gov, the Naming Commission is a Congressional Commission that reports to the House Armed Services Committee and Senate Armed Services Committee and will provide its final recommendations to Congress by Oct. 1, 2022.

Their site also indicates that per Section 370 of the 2021 National Defense Authorization Act, the Secretary of Defense is expected to “implement a plan submitted by the commission” no later than Jan. 1, 2024….”

On we go…

It's the same content that everforward posted above, but we will repeat it again.  I added the link to FB as I am sure there will be additional details.

Update from Maj. Gen. Timothy P. Williams, the Adjutant General of Virginia:

There has been no decision or formal recommendation to discontinue the 29th Infantry Division patch by the Naming Commission. We are currently preparing historical documentation and letters of support to educate the Commission about the importance of 29th ID patch. We want them to understand what it means to the thousands of veterans who have worn the patch in service to our country, as well as how it serves as a symbol of liberation to our Allies in France.

The Naming Commission is reviewing the 29th Infantry Division patch as part of their charter to provide “naming, renaming, and removal recommendations to Congress for all Department of Defense items that commemorate the Confederate States of America or any person who served voluntarily with the Confederate States of America.”

According to their web site https://www.thenamingcommission.gov, the Naming Commission is a Congressional Commission that reports to the House Armed Services Committee and Senate Armed Services Committee and will provide its final recommendations to Congress by Oct. 1, 2022.

Their site also indicates that per Section 370 of the 2021 National Defense Authorization Act, the Secretary of Defense is expected to “implement a plan submitted by the commission” no later than Jan. 1, 2024.

• 7 months later...
everforward

The 29th ID SSI will continue on…! Here is the recommendation from the committee forwarded to the DoD:

"…..Whereas the Community of the 29th ID indicates that they view the symbol as a unifying symbol for America and is imbued with sacrifices and service of past 29th ID members, therefore The Commission Recommends that the patch symbol remain unchanged….”

10 hours ago, VMI88 said:

I'm glad the committee ultimately made the right decision, but it's hard to believe this was even an issue.

HEAR HEAR

everforward
7 hours ago, patches said:

ta-1-94.jpg

Nice. (L-R) OIF/OEF, BDU, Multicam, ACU and Class-A.

Here is a sample of the graphics I created that we used in promoting the campaign to save the patch. 
F801B3F6-3400-4253-BE05-BC9EF6673D8E.jpeg.4aef44b67b546bf20573e2643b204751.jpeg