Fake WWI DSC/ Navy Cross group eBay Seller bigp63

Bill_Carman

10 hours ago, ferris055 said:

Warguy, I noticed the same thing and thought that immediately.  I wonder why he labeled it as United States Army.  

He probably recognizes the Army Second Division star and Indianhead and went with that despite the ega on the front. Advertising it as a Marine helmet would have probably received more hits. It’s hard ti figure out what a guy like this is thinking I suppose. Probably something like “Gee I hope it fetches something more than the $200.00 in paint, ega and shell I have into it”. 

From doing a bit of googling, the seller is involved with IPMS and has done some award winning model building. Probably using the same skill set to do the artwork on these. 

15 minutes ago, Dave said:

From doing a bit of googling, the seller is involved with IPMS and has done some award winning model building. Probably using the same skill set to do the artwork on these. 

Good research, Dave. This guy is a total fraud!

That is great detective work and sure explains a lot. Thanks! I like that this thread posts his items for future reference. I hope we keep doing that. I am afraid once again collectors are going to be seeing his helmets for decades. Would be nice to point others to this discussion when they come to market. 

13 minutes ago, warguy said:

That is great detective work and sure explains a lot. Thanks! I like that this thread posts his items for future reference. I hope we keep doing that. I am afraid once again collectors are going to be seeing his helmets for decades. Would be nice to point others to this discussion when they come to market. 

+ 1 ! Thanks for ALL ! It's very interesting !  ;-)

I bet the seller is "playing stupid" on his description of the helmet to make buyers think they are buying it from some garage sale picker.

Kurt

The bids are up to $1275.00 now 

20 hours ago, KASTAUFFER said:

I bet the seller is "playing stupid" on his description of the helmet to make buyers think they are buying it from some garage sale picker.

Kurt

That is exactly what I was thinking. The bid is up to $1275 now

The USMC 1st Nicaraguan Campaign Medal he has for sale is another fake too. If you can’t tell from the medal itself, just follow the bread crumbs…

94A74549-CBBC-4B71-8B55-F4E3AA6B867F.jpeg

The medal he has listed now. The thicker suspension of the crimp brooch medal was ground off and a ring suspension was soldered on. The medal was artificially aged, as the front is a bit darker than the original crimp brooch medal. Note the same wear pattern highlighted with red arrows as the crimp brooch medal.

4FA75DA8-8544-4ABB-B84A-0E9B9C80B230.jpeg

E0413D6B-DAC0-4D2E-B4A6-42FBDAA1D1A9.jpeg

8DF021CA-5C5F-4BDD-8A0E-20DA395823A6.jpeg

This fake medal has over $1,100+ in bids.  The number is added to and old reproduction. 💯% fake. Avoid like the plaque. 

D281BBFD-0E12-4420-BDE7-0188CAFE36C5.jpeg

A7892DCF-4DE0-41AB-8C6E-5E31B8B175F5.jpeg

Marine Corps 1912 Nicaraguan campaign medal number #305

added this if the number is searched online in the future, hopefully this will pop up for the buyer. 

Please see my post in the Decorations/Valor Awards section of this forum under the post WWI DSC/Navy Cross. I’ve posted the auction photos of the original crimp brooch medal that he bought and then photos from his current auction for comparison. He sold a fake WWI DSC today as well.

MMcollector, thanks for posting this!

Given the recent insightful work on spotting fake medal engraving, by our most excellent and esteemed Medals and Decorations Moderators...Dave and Kurt...with the assist of many highly knowledgeable Forum Members...maybe we need a similar ongoing thread on spotting fake campaign medals?  This medal would make a perfect starting point.

Here is the reverse of the fake.

Two easy observations:

The last link is incomplete - not fully formed.  Dead giveaway.

The anchor crown and flukes are not correct.

s-l1600.jpg

If this was the real deal #305 it would have been issued to Cpl William Hayes, and would have been issued on 22-Nov-1914. Arrived at Corinth, Nicaragua 4-Sept-1912 via the USS California. Was part of Colonel Pendleton's relief, or re-enforcements, arriving in Nicaragua to help put down the insurgency. To help provide security, and to provide a show of force, was stationed at several camps in Nicaragua. Participated in bombardment, assault, and capture of fortifications. Hopefully some of those bidders will find the comments posted.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325390027382?hash=item4bc2c1ca76:g:sHsAAOSwomVjUFOt&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsHbNmQ2HX5Dvg%2Bg3QKdSqaAMsyVaVHe7fH9P8EQPwYVK9cMMWjKtOhS8Q7rOCYDTmVjSxXlApccihttH5JsJ9zQni93Xtm2wFKFb5Ef5sZMLLJ43P5UUINAcYm86ty66RaV5pBUyWi%2BWais97%2BmQ%2BuxIO30w%2BUqCDUbj8Z%2Ba0LoWDz8Qlwqa0dmpdcgubTmkY78pRASuZqz%2B4uAumd4iB8zu%2FMlX6nhRvRm%2BCqVBxdMU|tkp%3ABk9SR9yqnuCAYQ

I just merged the two threads. It's 100% revealing that he bought a medal on eBay and then converted it. Shameful. 

On 10/22/2022 at 12:43 AM, AirMechanic said:

The medal he has listed now. The thicker suspension of the crimp brooch medal was ground off and a ring suspension was soldered on. The medal was artificially aged, as the front is a bit darker than the original crimp brooch medal. Note the same wear pattern highlighted with red arrows as the crimp brooch medal.

4FA75DA8-8544-4ABB-B84A-0E9B9C80B230.jpeg

E0413D6B-DAC0-4D2E-B4A6-42FBDAA1D1A9.jpeg

8DF021CA-5C5F-4BDD-8A0E-20DA395823A6.jpeg

What a clever guy!!

Dont stand too close to this fellow if you know him because karma is coming after him and you don’t want to be in the  way.

And Air Mech thanks for doing the work to find this out, extraordinary really.