Fake WWI DSC/ Navy Cross group eBay Seller bigp63

Bill_Carman

MottTheHoople

Note the rim ding just below the right hand corner of the very bottom star on the reverse of the medal.  Additionally the scratch below FOR on the reverse.

On the obverse there is a small ding above the P as well as the scratches above the T @ 2 o clock.

Looks like the DSM is back. I'm guessing someone either returned it or canceled the auction.

While looking at it, I'm not sure if my eyes are deceiving me or not, but it appears he used a bit of glue right below the brooch to secure the threads in place? Definitely looks like a dab of super glue or something similar (not surprising since he is a model builder...) 

Screenshot_142.jpg

Screenshot_143.jpg

8 hours ago, USMCR79 said:

DSM 665 was issued in 1919 to Major George P. Thomas - British Army

Bill

I don't give him all too much credit, but if I were trying to pass something off to a buyer who probably wouldn't return it (and wouldn't be sufficiently knowledgeable about what they are supposed to look like), I'd fake a medal to a foreign recipient, hoping that a foreign buyer would pick it up, not only paying a premium but also not sending it back. 

43 minutes ago, Dave said:

I don't give him all too much credit, but if I were trying to pass something off to a buyer who probably wouldn't return it (and wouldn't be sufficiently knowledgeable about what they are supposed to look like), I'd fake a medal to a foreign recipient, hoping that a foreign buyer would pick it up, not only paying a premium but also not sending it back. 

My thought also

Bill

DSC  #600 is interesting as it was shown being issued to James A Norton from Columbia SD - Wagoner with Company A 107th Ammo Train - However notes in the roll indicate this DSC was returned to the Adjutant General of the AEF because the service member was not available - So the true DSC #600 was returned and who knows who it was issued to.

However this medal in question is not a WWI period DSC and is of recent "manufacture"

Bill

12 hours ago, USMCR79 said:

DSC  #600 is interesting as it was shown being issued to James A Norton from Columbia SD - Wagoner with Company A 107th Ammo Train - However notes in the roll indicate this DSC was returned to the Adjutant General of the AEF because the service member was not available - So the true DSC #600 was returned and who knows who it was issued to.

However this medal in question is not a WWI period DSC and is of recent "manufacture"

Bill

Did Norton ever receive the medal?

Interesting information thank you.

2 hours ago, manayunkman said:

Did Norton ever receive the medal?

Interesting information thank you.

No idea if he did or it was reissued to someone else

Bill

1 hour ago, USMCR79 said:

No idea if he did or it was reissued to someone else

Bill

The medal in general not specifically the numbered one.

He’s at it again. Bigp63 didn’t even wait for his fake WWI DSC medal auction to end before listing a fake WWII Navy Cross and numbered DFC medal. His number stamps have really been getting a workout lately. The Navy Cross lapel pin and some of the civilian medals were bought by him on eBay a few months ago.

510C2916-9CC9-48D9-A5B1-A68293860B4E.jpeg

ABD89792-17E7-4D2C-AD24-A39B096C1E1C.jpeg

B581A85B-D2EA-4160-BFB4-7741D84E6049.jpeg

DAF6BA21-3989-4B0C-9AF4-C66AFB18FDD5.jpeg

He just relisted another one of his fake medals. This is a fake WWI Purple Heart, numbered 100, that he previously had sold. Perhaps somebody returned it. Anyhow, he purchased the WWI BBB PH box and WWI victory medal a few months back in an eBay auction. The PH started out as an unnumbered WWII PH planchet in a separate auction. 

4AD53814-38DD-4929-ABFB-52D9BB190997.jpeg

C1EE5C55-F8E0-41FF-AAC8-19311E949EDE.jpeg

3F4D7E91-B2D7-4D6A-943E-2B36B8A3444A.jpeg

3F86165E-9090-48C2-A875-FF13C2DFA660.jpeg

I totally missed the NC/DFC group he put together as it was a BIN. One would start to think...how many DSCs, NCs, etc. would someone have in order to keep listing them one after another on eBay? Especially since they look similar and the ribbons also all look similar. I'm guessing that the people buying these don't care or think to look at previous auctions...sigh. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/12/2021 at 11:39 AM, Bill_Carman said:

Did anyone on the Forum get the DSC/Navy Cross group(s) that were on eBay until they disappeared?

The two separate auctions consisted of the Distinguished Service Cross number 7011, Navy Cross, Victory Medal with Silver Citation Star, French Croix de Guerre, 6th Regiment helmet with name, EGA and 2nd Division pin. The DSC auction disappeared about noon Saturday, I think eBay pulled it and the second auction, helmet and Navy Cross, was pulled by the seller later that evening.

The awards were awarded to:

Private Joe Nichols Viera of the 78th Company, 6th Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, was awarded the Navy Cross Medal, the second highest medal that can be awarded by the U.S. Navy and which is awarded to members of the U.S. Navy or U.S. Marine Corps for heroism or distinguished service. On October 3, 1918, Private Viera, captured three enemy machine gun nests and with the aid of another Marine captured forty enemy soldiers in the Battle of Blanc Mont Ridge. He was also awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, the United States Army second highest medal, for the same action.

Screenshot 2021-12-11 061430.png

Screenshot 2021-12-11 061717.png

USMC DSC and EGA and Pin.jpg

USMC Helmet and Navy Cross, VM and F CdG.jpg

Saw this group a few weeks ago at the Dalton GA Civil War Show

Bill