Civil war US Army cuff?

UShistorybuff00

UShistorybuff00

Hello everyone!  I just picked this up today. The tag said it’s a civil war US army cuff. Anyone can confirm it? Also if it authentic? 
Thanks. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

USCapturephotos

It’s an officers 3 piece staff button. Could be Civil War or later depending on that backmark style. I’ll try to check my books for you later.

UShistorybuff00
3 hours ago, USCapturephotos said:

It’s an officers 3 piece staff button. Could be Civil War or later depending on that backmark style. I’ll try to check my books for you later.

If you could tell me what book you’re using to look them up?  I’m interested in getting a book on identifying buttons. Thanks again. 

USCapturephotos

I think yours is Civil War period. There were a ton of variations on the Horstmann backmarks. Button collecting is a lot of fun. It's a periphery part of my collection as I also like to relic hunt from time to time and love looking up the backmarks with buttons that I have dug. I also look for them in button jars at the flea market and have found some really rare and valuable ones that way. Here is one of the best books on the subject. It will be expensive if you can find one, but well worth it. Also, check out the sites for the famous button dealers William Leigh and Relicman.com for some insight on what you may have, values etc. 

Good luck!

Paul

IMG_7707 (1).jpg

• 2 months later...

That button was used thru 1902 when it was replaced by the great seal button in use today.  Tice's book goes to 1865.  I have looked at that and Albert's book and I can't find that exact backmark.  But I can't swear I didn't miss it.  But I am pretty sure it's post civil war.