A couple of bags, USAF blue duffle and a AN 6505-1

semperbee

Found these at estate sale of a USAF vet. Does anyone know what time frame the blue duffles were issued? The Aviator's kit bag is OD canvas with the owner's name stenciled across the top.

(same name as found on the duffle bag). Also picked up a MB-4A navigation computer kit, not sure if all the pieces in the folder are actual issued equipment. Not shown is a MBU-5/P oxygen mask that I posted in the Flying helmet & acces section.

bags (Medium).jpg

AN 6505-1 bag (Small).jpg

MB-4U (Medium).jpg

My Father was in the USAF in the mid-1950s and had two blue duffle bags.  According to him, they weren't issued for very long - if that helps!

That little rectangular silver thing down at the bottom left of the lower photo is an erasing shield. Very common to anyone who did or does mechanical drafting in pencil on paper, and taken with the other drafting gizmos shown would make perfect sense as GI.

By the way... when I was in USAF starting 1963 seeing one of those blue duffle bags was about as scarce  as being issued blue blankets - highly sought after.

In a BMT flight of 70 or so there might have been maybe 5 of each. Everything else was Army greenish.

• 2 weeks later...

Was rearranging stuff in the garage and dug out my blue duffel. It is very heavy blue cotton webbing and marked "US" in white ink near the bottom of the sack. Markings on the inside web rim appears to read:

Bag, Duffel, Cotton Duck _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ? (over) DSA-1-8178-8465-263 (or 8)-5456 + "13"

Bag Duffel Blu1.JPG

Bag Duffel Blu2.JPG