WW1 1st Division Grouping with French Gold Life Saving medal

nbolinger

This group came out of a attic a few weeks ago to a Edward W Healy 125077 5th field artillery  , was surprised to find a french life saving medal in the group which its pure gold , the highest grade of the medal. Not sure if he was awarded it or picked it up as a souvenir during the war.

IMG_20211202_173423340~2.jpg

Basic Rifleman

That life saving medal is gorgeous, and looks to be in fantastic shape as well. Great little group... I love this sort of stuff is still coming out of attics!

Very interesting grouping; I found some information on the French Life Saving Medal it is titled Honour medal for courage and devotion (French: "Médaille d’honneur pour acte de courage et de dévouement") is a French decoration than can be bestowed to individuals and whole units. Your version looks to be the second highest the Silver-gilt grade of the five awards.

Bronze grade: awarded if the rescuer exposed himself or herself to a life-threatening condition, or to lesser risk if previously awarded a letter of congratulations and an honorable mention.[2]

Silver grades 1st and 2nd class: awarded only if previously awarded the bronze grade following a new act of courage during a rescue. The two grades are awarded for successive acts of courage.[2]

Silver-gilt grade: awarded only for the most intrepid acts to the bearer of two silver grade medals.[2]

Gold grade: awarded as an outstanding testimony to a person having distinguished himself or herself through exceptional acts towards his or her fellow citizens.[2]

The Honour medal for courage and devotion may also be collectively awarded to emergency and rescue units where the personnel present during the rewarded acts may wear a tricolour (blue-white-red) fourragère.[1]

Information is located on the link below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honour_medal_for_courage_and_devotio

Best regards,

John

Ancestry shows the following information on the soldier:

Ohio Military Men, 1917-18

Name:Edward W. Healy

Serial Number:125077

Race:White

Residence:6110 Sheridan Place, Cleveland, O.

Enlistment Division:Regular Army

Enlistment Location:Coumbus Barracks, O.

Enlistment Date:27 May 1917

Birth Place:Cleveland, O.

Birth Date / Age:19 6/12 Years

Assigns Comment:Battery F 5 Field Artillery to Discharge Private Montdidier-Noyon; Aisne-Marne; St Mihiel; Meuse-Argonne; Defensive Sector. American Expeditionary Forces 2 Aug 1917 to 5 Jan 1919. Honorable discharge 4 Feb 1919.

I believe you are correct in assuming that medal was picked it up as a souvenir. Are sure it is pure gold or silver gold plated?

Best regards,

John

8 minutes ago, BigJohn#3RD said:

Ancestry shows the following information on the soldier:

Ohio Military Men, 1917-18

Name:Edward W. Healy

Serial Number:125077

Race:White

Residence:6110 Sheridan Place, Cleveland, O.

Enlistment Division:Regular Army

Enlistment Location:Coumbus Barracks, O.

Enlistment Date:27 May 1917

Birth Place:Cleveland, O.

Birth Date / Age:19 6/12 Years

Assigns Comment:Battery F 5 Field Artillery to Discharge Private Montdidier-Noyon; Aisne-Marne; St Mihiel; Meuse-Argonne; Defensive Sector. American Expeditionary Forces 2 Aug 1917 to 5 Jan 1919. Honorable discharge 4 Feb 1919.

I believe you are correct in assuming that medal was picked it up as a souvenir. Are sure it is pure gold or silver gold plated?

Best regards,

John

image.png.d4f178cc2a5ac46d544da88698375577.png

Thank you very much for the information on him, thank you for the assistance.I had the medal tested twice just to make sure it's gold, it's really high karet gold. 

Lovely stuff!  What a super group.  You gotta love a cigar box cache.  My first exposure to militaria was the contents of a cigar box.  Great that 'Ted' felt the need to write what it was on the end.

Great pickup Nole!  Love the early dogtags and "enlisted" arm band!

Though these guys are Battery D 5th FA, perhaps this is how he picked up the medal: 

image.png.1441b0d883cb882ae772242594e77658.png

43 minutes ago, AustinO said:

Great pickup Nole!  Love the early dogtags and "enlisted" arm band!

Though these guys are Battery D 5th FA, perhaps this is how he picked up the medal: 

image.png.1441b0d883cb882ae772242594e77658.png

Austin,

Great picture! Quite a few Colt 1911 45s around the game. Thanks for sharing the picture. I agree he picked it up sometime while overseas.

Best regards,

John

• 2 weeks later...