Buyer beware - USMC lid eBay

ArchangelDM

Well I spotted this a mile away but others may not be as well versed in these covers so here is the heads up. 

This is an outright fake and I could spend the next few lines telling you why but there is a plethora of information on these not to get stung, if in doubt as to why please search this forum. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-U-S-MARINE-CORPS-M1-HELMET-w-2nd-TYPE-CAMOUFLAGE-COVER-FIRESTONE-LINER-/154720960470?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

7B439478-5311-4E37-AF7C-9F2151849D46.jpeg

CB8CBC3F-BEF5-48B6-9E55-F6467FC93453.jpeg

473C3C5E-F3E7-4607-B660-25B83C716B07.jpeg

Going through the seller's auctions they should know better. That doesn't mean they do. The closest thing to WW2 this helmet has is maybe the steel pot, and that's a maybe. Iron chin strap loops? Late 50's liner, repro cover..... Buyers really need to do better research

CavalryCombatant

Looking at the pictures, that liner is weird as all get out!  Sure looks like it’s a 1970’s liner that was re-webbed to look like a wartime liner.  Most notably, I’m pretty sure that isn’t the wartime Firestone stamp.  

My monies on reenactment helmet, not a deliberate fake. 

CavalryCombatant

The webbing itself, probably, but I think that the liner shell is USGI albiet 1970’s.

The maker mark is embossed, so I’d say that’s probably how the liner shell came from the factory.

Just my 2¢

FT.Monmouth1943

I think the liner is an original 1950s/early 60s P55 liner and it’s in pretty good shape. The bad lighting in the photos are distorting the colors. 
As for this being an original WWII USMC helmet; couldn’t be further from the truth. That cover is horrendous, and I can only pray that whoever’s bidding on the lid sees this thread so they can retract their bids.

- Jakob

Its up to $375.00 !!!

Somebody is going to get hosed. Looks like the chin straps on the steel pot are repros too !

That cover !!! Even I can tell its a fake and Im not an expert like most of you guys are.

And the green webbed liner... WW2 ??? Nope. No shots of the steel no close up on the straps.. No clear shots of the liner out of the helmet.

No shots of the stitching on the cover... Cover is too new and the wrong pattern on it.

Dean is trying to throw everyone off the scent of this one of a kind USMC pot. 

When I win. I have no doubt I will be receiving multiple PMs and offers. Requests by People wanting to take selfies with it. Etc. 

So nice try Pally 

Z

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Bad to the bone. The Bold Ink and Graphic elements of that EGA from 10 feet away are a tell before you have to look any further  

3 minutes ago, Paddyd00 said:

Dean is trying to throw everyone off the scent of this one of a kind USMC pot. 

When I win. I have no doubt I will be receiving multiple PMs and offers. Requests by People wanting to take selfies with it. Etc. 

So nice try Pally 

Z

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Bad to the bone. The Bold Ink and Graphic elements of that EGA from 10 feet away are a tell before you have to look any further  

😂 Z you the man

made my day that comment - light hearted yet constructive at the same time. 

hope you doing well my friend