Unknown Tarantula patch nam war: 523d Tactical Fighter Squadron on US Army shirt

Ricky Marchi

Hi everyone. Can you identify this shoulder sleeve insignia I never saw thank? I thought it could be from recon team tarantula but it is too different. 
There is letters on the top of it LGHAR and numbers 523

thank you

B9B68673-FF8C-40E2-AA6D-2D6768F9861D.jpeg

13 hours ago, yokota57 said:

Check out: USAF 523d Tactical Fighter Squadron / morale.

It is not. Found this patches on internet. Completely different 

C6BB91DF-3111-4C69-B69D-DBA05A140F19.jpeg

ED7F9185-BDF0-4CE9-BA56-1B70332307A1.png

C6DC70E0-62E0-483B-BFC2-49964E76B411.png

2F693E38-EC4C-44A7-93FE-5547FC6C9C72.png

3DA8C65A-922F-427C-9A15-EB28BB19C1FA.png

Sources: USAFpatches.com and USMilitaryPatches.com both ID your patch as: 523d Tactical Fighter Squadron / Morale. I've seen it on numerous occasions elsewhere in person. I have no idea why it is on your Army shirt. 

523-2_0.jpg

53 minutes ago, yokota57 said:

Sources: USAFpatches.com and USMilitaryPatches.com both ID your patch as: 523d Tactical Fighter Squadron / Morale. I've seen it on numerous occasions elsewhere in person. I have no idea why it is on your Army shirt. 

523-2_0.jpg

Thank you  Yokota. Really strange it is on an army shirt 

A 523d TFS member could have given it to him during one of their deployments to Korea/Thailand/Japan/Turkey/Philippines. He could have purchased it in one of the local tailor shops in-theater. It could have been added to the shirt years later. Lots of possible scenarios. 

17 hours ago, dmar836 said:

Almost looks fully embroidered. Do you have a closer pic?

No dmar, sorry. shirt is not mine found it in a shop where I live 

I'd suspect the shoulder patch was not originally on the shirt, and is probably a post war add on.  Unless there is strong evidence that it has been on there for a long time, depending on the price, I'd buy it just for the patch. 

It is what others have said, from the 523 TFS. This was their deployment patch. LGHAB= Let's Go Home And Bugger, which basically summed up what they wanted to do after months of being gone from home. I have 4 variations, and there are more. It seemed to be first used in 1960 during a TDY to Turkey according to a former pilot. Here's a pic from 1963. Some are wearing the tarantula patch, and notice it in the intake of the F-100. As Gil said, get the shirt for this patch alone if it's cheap!

Randy

523tfsphoto5.jpg

9 hours ago, Randy said:

It is what others have said, from the 523 TFS. This was their deployment patch. LGHAB= Let's Go Home And Bugger, which basically summed up what they wanted to do after months of being gone from home. I have 4 variations, and there are more. It seemed to be first used in 1960 during a TDY to Turkey according to a former pilot. Here's a pic from 1963. Some are wearing the tarantula patch, and notice it in the intake of the F-100. As Gil said, get the shirt for this patch alone if it's cheap!

Randy

523tfsphoto5.jpg

Thank you randy. Yes sorry I thought it was LGHAR and not LGHAB because the last lettere is a little hide. prize is a little high in my opinion 120 dollars. Don’t think I’m gonna purchase it