USAF F-4C #64-0753 Maintenance Question

yokota57

I noticed something in this oft seen photo that I don't recognize. Any former F-4 maintainers in "Forum-Land" know what the "brown object" emerging from the cockpit and wrapped under the forward fuselage is?? Does the "brown object" have anything to do with what the maintenance crew is working on?? The tailhook is lowered and attached by a cable to what I presume is an anchor point at the edge of the tarmac. **This Danang-based 480th Tac Fighter Sqdn (366TFW) F-4C was lost on Dec.2, 1966. Phuc Yen Airfield NVN. Crew ejected. Capt Flesher/1LT Berger POW. Thanks in advance for any information!

b9200c89c36a3037250261c0d041dfbd (3).jpg

b9200c89c36a3037250261c0d041dfbd (4).jpg

That is a engine run screen....attached to the inlet during ground runs for maintenance...kept objects, including mechanics, from being sucked into the intake during the engine run

the tailhook is lowered and attached to the tie down to keep the jet from moving forward on afterburner ground runs...just case the brakes and chocks failed 

Thanks very much for answering my question! Now that you have identified it, I can see that it is covering the inlet as opposed to "emerging from the cockpit". The angle of the photo caused my misperception. That also explains the lowered tailhook and anchored cable. YK57

the yellow power unit, the -60 is hooked up the bleed air duct to start the engine...  the hose under the belly...sometimes I miss those days...  thanks for the trip  down memory lane

I don't, the ole Phantom is just now wreaking havoc on my knees! Everything was down low. Engine starts with a C/L tank were a pain as well, having to scramble all the way around. Half of the -60 hoses were missing the disconnect chain and then you'd better have some good gloves getting the hose off after engine start. 40 pounds of down locks etc. OK, I lied, now I miss it too!😆

Randy

12 minutes ago, Paulruss said:

I always liked the cart starts during exercises and standing on your head to get the battery out of the E model's

right on!

E model batteries were a breeze compared to the G models with the extra wire bundle in there. Whoever moved it to that location from the nose area of the earlier models should have been shot! We usually had to give up and take out the right rear rudder pedal. This occurred many times after a refuel and someone forgot to turn everything off...

Randy