Question about different backs

Elliott R

Hey ya'll, I have some army GCMs and I know the pin back one is ww2 but I was just wondering if there was an age difference between the pin backs and the other backs. Did they use the pin back/other back exclusively during ww2 or did they use both? I have an American campaign medal that has the 2 point back and Im 99.5% sure that one is not a repro. 

IMG_1103.JPG

IMG_1104.JPG

IMG_1102.JPG

Crimped brooches with clutch back fasteners were never used on Army Good Conduct medals during and immediately after WWII.  Medals, including Good Conduct medals, produced after WWII normally had a crimped brooch with a folding pin and roller catch.

So were any medals from ww2 made with the clutch back? I have what I thought was an army of occupation (germany clasp) and an american campaign medal but they have clutch backs. Does that mean they are repros or were some kinds of medals made with clutch backs

During WWII and immediately afterwards no U. S. medals were produced with clutch backs.  However, in later years there were probably many WWII medals that were reribboned using ribbon assemblies made with clutch back brooches.

Lots of empty medal boxes out there waiting to be filled.  It is very common to have dealers and collectors make up sets of medals and ribbons and then find a box.  Learn all you can so you don’t end up paying a premium price for something that isn’t right

On 11/30/2021 at 6:26 AM, Elliott R said:

So were any medals from ww2 made with the clutch back? I have what I thought was an army of occupation (germany clasp) and an american campaign medal but they have clutch backs. Does that mean they are repros or were some kinds of medals made with clutch backs

my brooch guide may also help:

http://www.medalmulisha.com/medal-brooch-guide.html