My Corpsman Bags

JerryTheGerman

The Pouch, Hospital Corps, Small, with leather closure straps is a pre WW2 pouch. I haven't found out when the switch to web straps happened.

hcs 1.jpg

hcs2.jpg

Jerry, it's not your mistake. A certain corpsman book came out a few years ago that is riddled with mistakes. A lot of collectors use this book as a main source of information. 

JerryTheGerman
1 minute ago, robinb said:

And the modified M41 knap sack appeared in late 1944. Here's mine. 

mhs 1.jpg

mhs 2.jpg

Correct me if I’m wrong but I’ve seen an quite early looking Unit-3 bag on baystate Militaria with the same system but with early was fasteners 

JerryTheGerman
2 minutes ago, robinb said:

OK I found it. They take it for granted that it's a Unit 3 bag when it's not marked as such. 

bs.jpg

Do you think it’s possibly an early version that  isn’t marked?

No, I don't. Since the modification came out in late '44, there is no "early verses late". The modification could be done to any of the knap sacks that were available at the time. My modified knap sack isn't marked either.

JerryTheGerman
Just now, robinb said:

No, I don't. Since the modification came out in late '44, there is no "early verses late". The modification could be done to any of the knap sacks that were available at the time. My modified knap sack isn't marked either.

Interesting, and when I checked my book it seems the pre-war leather strap bag was referred to as the “Crash Bag” for sea accidents.

What book do you refer to? It makes sense to call it a "crash bag" since its intent was to be used aboard ships in the first place.

JerryTheGerman
Just now, robinb said:

What book do you refer to? It makes sense to call it a "crash bag" since its intent was to be used aboard ships in the first place.

The Hospital Corps Quarterly April of 1943

image.jpg

JerryTheGerman
Just now, robinb said:

I see. Regrettably I do not own a copy.

Also in the October 1942 it shows experimental testing of the S14-075:

image.jpg

JerryTheGerman
3 minutes ago, JerryTheGerman said:

Also in the October 1942 it shows experimental testing of the S14-075:

image.jpg

Also it mentions how Paramarine Corpsman were using boy-scout canteens instead of field issued.

76E7E63F-3695-4E94-8FBC-8D117307ACCB.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding the Hospital Corps bag, I always thought the belt loop straps on the back were bit excessive for just securing to a belt. With shoulder strap across the chest and the bag secured to a belt it does allow some measure of movement standing up and leaning over. Making for some measure of tolerance. but I'm curious and have had the thought that perhaps those straps were intended for a little more general purpose. I have multiple pictures with those straps being utilized to secure splints, here is one such image of that application. Unfortunately, I can't find the others that I have in my files but same application. It is just an observation and I have no proof either way as they could simply just be intended for securing to a belt, but the bag secured to a belt without the use of the shoulder strap would be quite cumbersome. The revised designs overcome this deficiency. photographs illustrate the use of splints but could very well be used for other general-purpose applications. it would be nice to read some form of a descriptive use and utilization of the bag, but I don't think any publications have that type of description, that I'm aware of. Just a food for thought.

A.jpg.4456c794c40a6849027dcb537bfc599b.jpg

B.jpg.063ea0154b037c5bfcaa140411a4c8ea.jpg

JerryTheGerman
22 minutes ago, dustin said:

Regarding the Hospital Corps bag, I always thought the belt loop straps on the back were bit excessive for just securing to a belt. With shoulder strap across the chest and the bag secured to a belt it does allow some measure of movement standing up and leaning over. Making for some measure of tolerance. but I'm curious and have had the thought that perhaps those straps were intended for a little more general purpose. I have multiple pictures with those straps being utilized to secure splints, here is one such image of that application. Unfortunately, I can't find the others that I have in my files but same application. It is just an observation and I have no proof either way as they could simply just be intended for securing to a belt, but the bag secured to a belt without the use of the shoulder strap would be quite cumbersome. The revised designs overcome this deficiency. photographs illustrate the use of splints but could very well be used for other general-purpose applications. it would be nice to read some form of a descriptive use and utilization of the bag, but I don't think any publications have that type of description, that I'm aware of. Just a food for thought.

A.jpg.4456c794c40a6849027dcb537bfc599b.jpg

B.jpg.063ea0154b037c5bfcaa140411a4c8ea.jpg

This could be very plausible Dustin. It would make sense for this but it may have been depending on who got the bag as I’ve seen use as it almost being a knapsack of sorts when put on the back of a belt. 

Of course, there are a lot of nuances to medical kits and their applied use to include configurations. I was speculating that perhaps in the design those loops were intentionally large for desired applications for whomever may find a use. 

Here is an image from what I believe from the Normandy campaign as I think that is a German soldier on the stretcher. Note bottom left are two Hospital Corps bags. 

09-7918-11.JPG.3b834ce953d5312a54c0cacd4fe4311d.JPG 

JerryTheGerman
30 minutes ago, dustin said:

Of course, there are a lot of nuances to medical kits and their applied use to include configurations. I was speculating that perhaps in the design those loops were intentionally large for desired applications for whomever may find a use. 

Here is an image from what I believe from the Normandy campaign as I think that is a German soldier on the stretcher. Note bottom left are two Hospital Corps bags. 

09-7918-11.JPG.3b834ce953d5312a54c0cacd4fe4311d.JPG 

I don’t have the book right now but when I was reading “Sailors in Forest Green” by Jeff Warner it showed a picture of the bags being used with belts in training photos.

• 3 months later...
JerryTheGerman

Updated a bit: Got a correct strap for the 14-450 and a Small early war version with stenciled markings

58F4CBEC-52DA-4E46-9F01-BE407661E622.jpeg

Browninggunner688

Very nice collection of bags, I'm yet to find the 14-450 bag for my collection, seems impossible here in England, in over 8 years of collecting Corpsman related items I have never found one. 

Nick.