Seeking info on M1 Helmet WWII found in Australia

Borsac

Hi All and Greetings from Australia

I recently purchased this US helmet quite cheaply in a mixed lot of military items from an estate here in Adelaide. Please excuse me if I get any terminology wrong US items are not my field of interest.  The edge seam joins at the front. The strap loops are fixed. There is a feint heat stamp 784B. Paint appears original and has a lovely patina. It is named in red writing on the back. 

The name appears to be "Middleton" Inside is a painted number T4124. The clasp has rusted closed. No liner.

I would like to know if it's a good enough one to keep and if the number inside is a service number. The date made and any other relevant information on it. 

Is there anything about it that would indicate where it was used? I would imagine a Pacific campaign helmet would be more likely found here than a Europe one.

Also should I purchase a liner for it and if so what should I be looking at? An idea of value would be nice too.

I can provide more photos if needed

Thanks in advance.

Regards Tony 

helmet6.jpg

helmet5.jpg

helmet4.jpg

helmet3.jpg

helmet2.jpg

helmet1.jpg

Tony, the number inside is part of a service number....The 'T' being first letter in soldier's last name.....The '4124' being the last four digits of his SN.....Helmet is an early M1 and referred to as a front seam, fixed bail....Rim trim seam being in the front of the helmet....Bales for the chinstrap being fixed instead of the later swivel type.....Bodes

Thank you Bodes

So I'd be looking for a "T. Middleton ...4124"? How does one go about researching that? I'm really good at Australian service records but zero idea when it comes to US.

Regards Tony 

1 hour ago, Borsac said:

Thank you Bodes

So I'd be looking for a "T. Middleton ...4124"? How does one go about researching that? I'm really good at Australian service records but zero idea when it comes to US.

Regards Tony 

Tony, You would be looking for all WW2 US soldiers whose last name started with 'T' and whose SN ended in '4124'......Pretty tough though using only this amount of information.........Bodes

Yeah it sounds like a lot of work. Meant to mention the same number is stencilled on the chin strap too. Writing on the back "MIDDL***N"

Regards Tony 

I suspect that Middleton is a home town. Two possibilities jump out at me. Middleton MA, which is essentially a suburb of Boston and Middleton WI which is a suburb of Madison WI. Looking at the NARA listing two names potentially match. The first guy from WI lived in Dane County, which encompasses Madison.

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 7.01.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 7.01.20 AM.png

Salvage Sailor

It also may have been recycled and those are two different men who had the helmet.

Tony,

Look through this topic on tips for searching with the last 4 numbers of a US Serial Number 

How to research a vet by using # and last four digits

Aloha & Welcome to the Forum

Thank you for all the great information. I'm not sure I'll go down the research rabbit hole though.

I've got a couple more questions if I may.

Was it common for things like town names to be written on a helmet?

Is it a good enough example for me to invest in a liner? If so What should I be looking at?

Regards Tony