PBY / B-24 / PB4Y control panel signs????

Bob Hudson

At an estate sale this past weekend I picked up a cigar box full of these metal tags that apparently came from the old Consolidated Vultee plant in San Diego (later Convair) and according to the guy I got them from, his father worked there and said these were used on B-24's and/or PBY's. The box contains several of some of these plus a few other styles as well that I did not scan.

planelabels.jpg

At an estate sale this past weekend I picked up a cigar box full of these metal tags that apparently came from the old Consolidated Vultee plant in San Diego (later Convair) and according to the guy I got them from, his father worked there and said these were used on B-24's and/or PBY's. The box contains several of some of these plus a few other styles as well that I did not scan.

post-214-1174281237.jpg

Don't know where most of these placards go, but I can practically guarantee that the one warning not to lower the flaps below 175 m.p.h. did NOT go in a PBY!! According to a set of RAF Pilot's Notes on Liberators, the maximum flap lowering speed was 155 m.p.h.. Don't have a U.S. pilot's handbook to check there.

For what it's worth!

Bagman

Don't know where most of these placards go, but I can practically guarantee that the one warning not to lower the flaps below 175 m.p.h. did NOT go in a PBY!! According to a set of RAF Pilot's Notes on Liberators, the maximum flap lowering speed was 155 m.p.h.. Don't have a U.S. pilot's handbook to check there.

For what it's worth!

Bagman

It would be nice to know where these actually were used - I'm pretty certain they were all used on Consolidated Vultee aircraft, even if not just the B-24 and PBY Here's a couple more which mention a missile:

planemisslelabel.jpg

planemissle2label.jpg

The History International Channel is running a great documentary about the PBY this morning.

I would love to find some clear photos of the pilot and flight engineer's control panels.

Charlie Flick

Hi Bob:

Your seller may have confused the PBY Catalina with the PB4Y-1, which was a navalized version of the B-24. All were made by Consolidated (and others). I would expect most of the instrument panel on a PB4Y-1 to be identical to that of a B-24.

A nice find.

Charlie

I'm going to guess that this one has something to do with the tunnel gun position on the B-24:

tgp.jpg

But that's just a guess...

Fade to Black...

• 10 months later...

After a year I finally took a photo of the whole set. I'm still wondering about those "missile" ID plates. I did find out that that in March 1945 a rocket powered Gorgon air-to-air missile was launched from a PBY-5A, and the PB4Y-1 (Navy version of the B-24) did carry the BAT glide bomb, a guided missile, so perhaps these are related.

There are duplicates of many of the plates, especially the gun safety on-off plate. Mounting one of those on the dash of your car could certainly make passenger wonder about you (to say nothing about the cop who stops you for speeding).

actags.jpg

actagsrb.jpg

...The History International Channel is running a great documentary about the PBY this morning....I would love to find some clear photos of the pilot and flight engineer's control panels.

Link here if you still want to see PBY pilot and flight engineer control panels and a lot more Catalina interiors.