Vietnam Helicopters

Rotorwash

To be honest - I don't know. It's been almost 40 years since I saw a 1 Cav Div SOP; and that was my verbage, trying to describe the D Co recognition device.

Soooo..... I consulted the dictionary:

Diamond - Any rhombus shaped figure with its diagonals oriented vertically and horizontally.

Rhombus - Any equilateral parallelogram, EXCEPT a square.

Hmmmm. I defer to you. ;)

To be honest - I don't know. It's been almost 40 years since I saw a 1 Cav Div SOP; and that was my verbage, trying to describe the D Co recognition device.

Soooo..... I consulted the dictionary:

Diamond - Any rhombus shaped figure with its diagonals oriented vertically and horizontally.

Rhombus - Any equilateral parallelogram, EXCEPT a square.

Hmmmm. I defer to you. ;)

CaptCav,

Sounds like a square on its point is better description to me. Geez, I never thought high school geometry would come back to haunt me 20 years later! w00t.gif

Ray

Cobrahistorian

CaptCav,

Didn't 7/17th go to the geometric designators late in the war? I've got some shots of C/7/17th birds with small, solid yellow designators like 1st Cav, circa 1971.

Jon

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
snake36bravo
Guys:

These appear to me to be all post-Viet Nam AH-1 photos but I figured that the rotary wing nuts here would enjoy seeing them anyway. I ran across them on this site: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=120243

Regards,

Charlie Flick

I have a named SPH4 from 244th AVN mentioned in the accident and I just purchased this off Ebay. Mentions the units involved as well as the U Minh forest where the crash took place. Interesting to find all this all in just one night.

post-2582-1250326310.jpg

• 9 months later...
ripeold f*rt
UH-1D/H slicks- Blue

AH-1 and i think UH-1B/C gunships- Red

OH-6 and OH-58- White

Red+White= Pink Team

Red+Blue= Purple team

I hope that helps.

Ray

Jon will be along shortly to correct me if I made any mistakes. He's the Vietnam gunship guru after all.

Team colors were first used by the 1/9 Cav. In April of 67 we worked with B/1/9 at Duc Pho and that is the first I heard of them. White teams then were flying H-13's, red teams were the gunships and the blues were not the slicks but the aerorifle platoon, each squad had its own D model. Pink teams were an H-13 and a gunship.

RFO

• 3 weeks later...

post-8785-1277477898.jpg

what a great thread. Just in time. We got our UH-1 delivered and we are starting to deliberate on the paint scheme.

It served with the 101st, but we really want a "pop". Thanks for all the info and more importantly, thanks to the guys who went and did!