Vietnam Helicopters

Rotorwash

Speaks for itself. :D

Snake 36,

It most definitely does, thanks! since you started us down the M-3 trail, here are a few more from Jerry Brooks of the 2/20th ARA from 66-67. This was actually kinda late in the war for the M-3 based on my research, but the 2/20th seems to have still had a bunch around. I've also included pics of the Maxwell system (named for the designer) which was a M-3 cut down to usually 12 shots with a S-11 missile grafted on outboard. Enjoy!

Ray

008.jpg

053.jpg

090.jpg

104.jpg

321.jpg

323.jpg

Maxwell system:

320.jpg

348.jpg

Spotted at the Olympic Flight Musem airshow in June of 2008:

Sorry, I almost forgot to thank you for the pics. Always good to see a Husky.

Ray

• 2 weeks later...

Well I was waiting for someone else to post a few, but it's been a while so I thought I'd liven this thread up again. Here are a couple of shots from a set given to me by Stu George of a couple of 20th SOS UH-1F's. When armed the UH-1F was designated as a UH-1P, but it's the same airframe. Now who's next?

Ray

38-1.jpg

Image-1.jpg

Cobrahistorian
Gun Ship #930

Ray's gonna have kittens over this one! Early UH-1C, bellmouth intake, FM Antennas on the nose, XM16 armament kit and to top it off, a non-standard Camo paint scheme!

Glad to see the TOW bird gettin some love too. Ray and I have spent the past two years trying to decipher the "mystery of the TOW" helicopters. Been very successful as of late and we have established the tail numbers and histories of the two birds involved. The one in the museum, 60-3553 is NOT actually one of the birds that was part of the TOW program. The XM26 system that is on it, however IS the system carried in combat by 62-12554 (which oddly enough is sitting as a gate guard for the USAF's 1st Helicopter Squadron at Andrews AFB).

Jon

Ray's gonna have kittens over this one! Early UH-1C, bellmouth intake, FM Antennas on the nose, XM16 armament kit and to top it off, a non-standard Camo paint scheme!

Glad to see the TOW bird gettin some love too. Ray and I have spent the past two years trying to decipher the "mystery of the TOW" helicopters. Been very successful as of late and we have established the tail numbers and histories of the two birds involved. The one in the museum, 60-3553 is NOT actually one of the birds that was part of the TOW program. The XM26 system that is on it, however IS the system carried in combat by 62-12554 (which oddly enough is sitting as a gate guard for the USAF's 1st Helicopter Squadron at Andrews AFB).

Jon

Snake 36,

Man, that is some awesome stuff! I don't check the forum for a day or two and come back to THIS! Thanks.

Jon and I are always happy to see more TOW bird pics. As Jon mentioned we have been working hard at figuring out the history of those systems.

Jon, 530 is actually a B model, but a VERY cool B model. You can just see the nose pitot behind the FM antenna, For some reason that bird is missing the tail skid fairing as well. The cammo scheme is VERY cool. Any more info about that bird Snake 36?

I know I owe you a few pics on my end (that was the deal). I'll have to post those tonight. Keep the pics coming!

Ray

Cobrahistorian
Snake 36,

Man, that is some awesome stuff! I don't check the forum for a day or two and come back to THIS! Thanks.

Jon and I are always happy to see more TOW bird pics. As Jon mentioned we have been working hard at figuring out the history of those systems.

Jon, 530 is actually a B model, but a VERY cool B model. You can just see the nose pitot behind the FM antenna, For some reason that bird is missing the tail skid fairing as well. The cammo scheme is VERY cool. Any more info about that bird Snake 36?

I know I owe you a few pics on my end (that was the deal). I'll have to post those tonight. Keep the pics coming!

Ray

GAAAH!!! Those B models that got C tailbooms always nail me....

GAAAH!!! Those B models that got C tailbooms always nail me....

Jon,

No worries man. I just look for the pitot. It is interesting that you have a C tailboom replacement on a bird that early in the war. The M-16 configuration with the quad 60's and the bell mouth intake make me think that this is 65-66 most likely. Interesting.

Ray

snake36bravo

I'm glad you guys like those. Here are some more to tide you over. I have high res of the TOW ship. If you want em shoot me a PM and I'll fire them off to you. 65-66 jives with the other pictures so I think your on target with the dates.

post-2582-1237676323.jpg

Snake 36,

Thanks for the extra pics! Here are three pics of the most famous Loach that ever flew. This is Hugh Mill's bird Miss Clawd IV (sorry they're a little blurry). I'm gonna e-mail Hugh and see what the story is here. I just found these in the Army Aviation Museum Archives yesterday. Therefore, I think it's safe to say you guys are the first to see them in a loooong time. By the way, the toilet bowl on the UH-1H means this is probably 1972. and I'm assuming these photos were taken in country. I'll let you guys know what I find out about them.

Ray

471.jpg

472.jpg

473.jpg

Cobrahistorian
A big nasty looking Darkhorse snake in '72.

Yep, No doubt in my mind that that is a C/16 Snake. Question is, which one?

Cobrahistorian
Snake 36,

Thanks for the extra pics! Here are three pics of the most famous Loach that ever flew. This is Hugh Mill's bird Miss Clawd IV (sorry they're a little blurry). I'm gonna e-mail Hugh and see what the story is here. I just found these in the Army Aviation Museum Archives yesterday. Therefore, I think it's safe to say you guys are the first to see them in a loooong time. By the way, the toilet bowl on the UH-1H means this is probably 1972. and I'm assuming these photos were taken in country. I'll let you guys know what I find out about them.

Ray

471.jpg

472.jpg

473.jpg

I will add, for those of you who don't know, the OH-6A hanging in the US Army Aviation Museum is not just painted as "Miss Clawd IV", it IS "Miss Clawd IV"!

I will add, for those of you who don't know, the OH-6A hanging in the US Army Aviation Museum is not just painted as "Miss Clawd IV", it IS "Miss Clawd IV"!

I will add to Jon's addition that she was found in the Museum in her post Vietnam scheme where she was used as one of the Silver Eagles demonstration birds.

Here she is as found at the Army Aviation Museum:

OH-6039.jpg

And restored to her former colors:

PICT4243.jpg

PICT4271.jpg

Got an E-mail back from Hugh Mills today about the three pics above of Miss Clawd:

"Never seen these shots as it was after I left. This is after LT Drew Scheele was shot down in 340. Note it also has the holes for the IR diffusers, but the engine and exhausts have been removed. This is being hauled to Saigon for shipment back to Hughes for rebuild.

Hugh"

Now you know "the rest of the story"

Ray