Civil War - Pennsylvania State Militia Button

diamonddave

Dug this unusual button at a 1850's homestead this morning. The button has two wire prongs affixed to the center on the back. The front appears to depict the PA State Seal. I'm thinking it could be Civil War era. The back has some text on that appears to read "Superior Quality". Have seen a similar example on the web that were reportedly used for cap chin strap buttons. Could use some help in positively identifying it.

20211125_125634.jpg

20211125_125736.jpg

20211125_130209.jpg

• 3 months later...

You PA button is interesting.  Tice doesn't show your button, but Albert does, or at least I think it is identical. Notice on yours, the eagle at the top is on a bar that doesn't touch the rest of the button.  Number 22C in Albert's book has the correct position of the eagle, but, alas, he doesn't give us a good way to date the button other than post revolution buttons.  

diamonddave

Thanks so much for your time in researching this.  It is amazing how many variations there can be. It sounds as though you have some great reference resources. I'm hoping the weather breaks soon so I can get back to metal detecting this site.

DD

• 4 months later...

Not listed in Tice's as his book only gives examples up to 1865. The similar style shown in Albert's all appear to be post Civil War based upon the backmarks listed and the Relative Value he assigns them compared to war time buttons.