Need help to ID these blades

daskrieg

Can anyone ID these blades? I have no clue on their country of origin. Any help is appreciated. I will post in the World Forum also. Dwayne

Message_1637883819247.jpg

Japanese ones have clip points, these sort of look like a Krag  I have just been listing a bayonet collection so I'll see if anything compares.

24 minutes ago, Mr.Jerry said:

Japanese ones have clip points, these sort of look like a Krag  I have just been listing a bayonet collection so I'll see if anything compares.

spacer.png

A quick guess, and I mean guess, would be Swiss bayonets. The US copied the the Swiss bayonets from the Schmitt-Rubin rifle series for use on the US Krag Rifles. My first guess was also a Krag Model 1892 also, but did not see any appropriate stamps.  SKIP

Notice that the fuller on the example blades is longer relative to the blade.  The fuller extends nearer to the tip and further down the ricasso, than the groove on the Krag.

Marv

Hi Dwayne,

The ‘D with star’ in my personal notes is Dussap Saint Etienne France. The blade to me looks a bit like the French Remington M1914 but without the Remington markings - and the pommel is missing. 

Bert

Here is one from Janzen’s Notebook (drawn by Kiesling). If you Google French M1914 Remington bayonet you will find hundreds of pictures. Bert

54FC0BA8-21EA-4F03-BF95-5D4A0BE0B72A.jpeg

From a quick look, it appears the French Remington, is about 5-6 inches longer than the blades in question.  Could be another, shorter  variation, or a Swiss blade. Keep in mind the ones pictured are only 11" long. SKIP

Hi Skip,

Indeed, only thing certain is that the D with the star above it is Dussap. That makes it French. 

The rest was a guess / assumption. 

Hi,

If both the US 1892 Krag bayonet with approx 295 mm blade and the French 1914 bayonet with approx. 405 mm blade were both made in the US, then it could be possible that the bare blades are rejects because of miss stamping's or something similar.

The only other blade which I could see with a similar blade length is the Swiss 1889 bayonet which has a blade length of approx 298 mm.

The third hole for the cross guard pin also seems to be out of position.